Monday, April 25, 2011

En Vacance

I've always like that French term for going on holiday. It always seems to promise exotic destinations & activities. Well, I am en vacance in the little Northland town of Kaikohe, with my old Fire Service buddy Hawkeye. In between talking ourselves dry last night, we made vague plans to go fishing & make the pilgrimage to see the Giant Kauri, Tane Mahuta today. Mother nature decreed otherwise. It's pouring with rain & the wind is howling around Ken's snug little cottage like you wouldn't believe. The fire is going, the little dog is curled up at my feet, the whisky is drinkable, the company is good & the books are readable.

I'm quietly relieved that we didn't go today. I think I'm more tired than I have been for a very long time. I had a good 2 hours snooze earlier & may have another later. I took the little dog for a walk this morning as is my usual wont. It's always interesting going for a wander in a different town. Kaikohe is interesting as apparently, it doesn't have a "good" area or a "bad" area. its all mixed in together. For instance, there was a beautifully kept house on one side of the road & an absolute derelict that didn't even have doors on the other. A real social contrast.

Ken has just informed me that according to the local paper. the weather today is about as good as its going to get all week. I'm beginning to have serious doubts as to the veracity of tales told of huge fish & balmy weather. It's probably as well that Ken has a good supply of movies in stock. On a serious note, this time away is making me realise the importance of a battery recharge every now & then in the form of a little selfish time every once in a while, even if it is spent in front of a fire reading & drinking whisky.

4 comments:

Erin said...

You go James......

Erin

Flattie said...

Thanks Erin

Kathy said...

And how exactly do the residents of "The House Without Doors" execute their ingress and egress? I've gotta tell ya, Jamie: That's a helluva headscratcher. I had difficulty concentrating on the remainder of your writing due to my hyperfocus on the mystery of "The House Without Doors".

Sounds like you had a nice time, even if you didn't get to fish like you'd hoped. But see? Now you won't have to tell any Big Lies to cover the Big Fish you didn't catch! :-D

K

Flattie said...

Nobody lives in it. There are door frames, but the doors to go with them are missing. Most of the windows are broken as well, so the place is pretty derelict...