Wednesday, February 08, 2012

New Beginnings

Well, I made it home alright. Whispa & I overnighted in Christchurch with no other problems than me feeding her something which upset her little tummy badly & gave her a screaming dose of the shites. Sadly, I gave her the second lot of mince before I realised what the problem was & so we both paid the price when I left her in Sherman for the ferry crossing. Thank you Peter for a lovely afternoon with your family before the crossing. Thank God for old blankets & rubber floor mats, apart from the bit I missed & sat in... A night with Heather & Rob, after I had lost my way getting there, then a trip up to Greytown for a stop over with Janet.

It's always good to see Janet. She is pretty much my oldest & dearest netfriend & we had a lot of catching up to do & a lot of laughing to do as well. Thank you Janet for a wonderful end to a wonderful holiday. And so home, by a slightly devious route, as the Manawatu Gorge road remains closed due to slip damage.

The next day, Dori came up for a visit from Tirohanga Beach & my whole life changed. It was only going to be for a few days, then I was going down to her place for a few days & we were going to sort out what was going to happen from there. To say I was like a spotty teenager on his first date waiting for her to arrive would be a mild understatement. I think our mutual fates were pretty much sealed from the first hug & kiss. It's strange to physically meet someone for the first time & yet know them so well because of the time spent talking online.

To cut to the chase, Dori doesn't live in Tirohanga Beach any more. We are sufficiently smitten with each other that we are convinced we can build a new life together that will overcome the sadness & bereavement that we both have had in our recent pasts. It's taken a few trips to get her here, but here she is & here she stays. Now begins the wonderful task of integrating our mutual possessions, sorting out who does what in the relationship & finding gainful employment for us both. I am going to apply for a position as a Disability Support Advocate with a local Health Group & as yet we aren't sure what Dori is going to do, although there are a number of part time options open to her with similar hours to what I will hopefully be working.

So there it is & here we are. I'm sorry that it has taken a little while to update my blog, but as you can appreciate, I have been a bit busy one way or another. I will be continuing this blog as I really enjoy my writing, so stay tuned. I'm sure the ride will be an interesting one.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

As I've already told you, I have a sense of peace that you and Dori are right for each other. Please try not to give validity to the naysayers; hopefully, they will be few and far between. Unless and until they are willing to step into your shoes and live your lives, they have absolutely no right to say a word about the way YOU live them.

Love you, mate. Take good care of your sweet lady.

K

Captain Rob said...

New beginnings are always a good time to experience! And you most definitely deserve it! I wish you the best down there my Kiwi Confederate friend!

Cheers!
Rob

Carlos Jayne said...

This was very well said. It dose seem to me that you and Dori have made a good decision. Their is still grief work to be done for each of you but it seems like you have each found something in the other that can build a loving relationship. Blessings on you as you figure out a way to deal with the present and the past while you work on the future. It's something we all have to do anyway and now you have each other while doing it.

Leafy :) said...

All the best for you both matey!
The pre-grieving had started for you a long time ago.

I'm glad you have found a worthy partner, together I'm sure you will forge new pathways & memories which in no way negates either of your roads traveled previously or the memories of those gone.

Life is too short, enjoy

Luv Leafy xx

The Gardiner's said...

Mate, have been missing you online and then finally figured out, well buggar, he doesn't need to be online as much anymore, he's got a new life to begin. Well..duhhhhhh!LOL. Be happy my friend, look forward to meeting you and Dori in the flesh sometime soon.
Erin