Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thoughts on ANZAC Day

My Dad was never real big on ANZAC Day. I think I remember him going to a dawn parade only once. He thought that much of his medals that he used to use one as a key ring. His opinion was that if they couldnt be bothered engraving his name on them then they didnt really mean much. You had to get him quite drunk to even talk about it, although the few friends he retained from this era were dearly loved. He had a lot of issues relating to the war, which really are nobody's business but my familys. Suffice it to say, that the short time he was in the Military embittered him for life. he was invalided home with amoebic dysentry & really bad dermatitis, both of which affected him for life. His company went on to be slaughtered at Crete, so I suppose it was a very mixed blessing.

I view the continuing closures of RSA's with mixed feelings. Our own one here in Thames is now a computer training center. Had I been allowed to join as a Service member , I would have. You see I do hold a commissioned medal for long service with The Fire Service, but even though I have risked life & limb for country, this doesnt qualify me to be a service member. The vcan be a bit fussy I fear.

Anyway, my Anzac day commemorations consist of quietly sitting & listening to these two songs...

Lest We Forget...






No comments: