Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'm Tired..

Its self inflicted & I've enjoyed the process, but that don't change the fact that it's only halfway through Easter An I'm stuffed... We got up early & went fishing yesterday in our usual spot. We were on the water by 0730 AM & back at the ramp by 1100 with our limit of 18 snapper. Today, just for a change, we got up even earlier & went fishing, this time over the other side at a place called Cooks Beach. This is where we fished.

Its called, strangely enough, The Hole in the Wall, & lies off the end of Opito Point, which is the end of the peninsula that forms part of Mercury Bay. Nice innit? The reason that its called Mercury Bay is because Captain Cook stopped there to observe the transit of the planet Mercury in his seventeenth century travels. Of course, there wasnt quite the variety of restaurants there then, so I guess he just had to make do with salt pork & beef as usual. What we found refreshing was the variety of fish that we hauled up. The fishing wasnt spectacular, with a take of only 3 snapper, but this is a pic of herself reluctantly holding a 2 kg John Dory what she caught.



2kg is a fairly respectable one of these & actually, it was more of a joint effort, as it still had my bait stuck in its throat, & it was too heavy for herself to haul in on her own. They aren't really red, thats just the reflection of my shorts. We had it for tea tonight, pan fried with home made chips & a rather tasty ( I made it ) lemon & parsley sauce. We enjoyed it.

Not to be outdone, I caught this, a 2 kg Kahawai. I thought I had a kingfish on at first when I got to see it in the water, it was such a good size, but it was a Kahawai. I caught it on a little keeper hook, which promptly snapped when I grabbed the trace to lift him out of the landing net. Here he is...



See what I mean about the red shorts? Thats my favourite Bob Dylan tee shirt I'm wearing too.

While we were out there, we stopped to pass the time of day with another couple, Colin & Lesley, who were out fishing. They came in round about the same time we did & stopped for a natter & a fish bin comparison. They were impressed with Judes Dory as well. We were going to dig out the thermos & have a cuppa before we wended our way home, but they invited us round to their place. We stayed for a very pleasant hour or so, swapped addresses & parted with them issuing an invite to come & stay for a few days if we wanted. Lovely folk that they are.

The only thing I fucked up with for the whole day was misreading where the bar was & wasn't at low tide to get into the estuary where the boat ramp was. I ended up getting washed sideways over it in about a foot of water. I haven't got any photo's of that. it was a bloody silly thing to do, especially in front of about 6 other boats who ALL knew where to come in. I'm going to bed now. This enjoying yourself is hard work. I've saved the most exciting bit till tomorrow. One of the disadvantages of a Fibreglass boat is that they show salt marks something shocking, so a good wash is well in order. After that, probably 3 hours of Star Trek.. Who knows & Night all.

No comments: