Wednesday, July 23, 2008

That Song is drivin me crazy

Well, not exactly crazy but this particular version of this song does evince a very powerful reaction from both Herself & Me.

You see, I have it as part of my CD collection on audio, although I have a cunning plan to add the DVD to my collection as well. Let me explain. I have the cd as part of my collection of copied discs that I drag around in my work bag, for occasions when I'm out of reception for what I believe to be an acceptable radio station when I'm working. I haven't listened to this one in a while, but I've been in a country/folk/bluegrassy mood lately, so I gave it a spin Monday. There is a few songs that evoke an emotional reaction for me, most of them are Irish. One other song is the ballad of Pancho & Lefty. Another is City of New Orleans. This particular version of this song came out of left field for me as emotive.

I happened to take herself with me yesterday. I told her to pick a CD to listen to & she surprised me by selecting "The Best Of The Band" After that had finished I dragged out this CD which is, if you were wondering, The Pete Seegar Tapes, by Bruce Springsteen. When this track came on, I surreptitiously wiped some rain that had managed to get into my eye through a closed window. I happened to look across to see herself having a good old blub as well, which really surprised me, as she is usually fairly fire proof to this sort of music.

Out of curiosity, I asked her what the pull of the song was for her. She told me that it conjured up memories of being a small child & spending time with her Grandmother in a small township down the line called Mangaweka. It would seem as though her Grandmother was really the only one of her elders who actually gave a shit about her & really loved her. From this woman , a little girl learned to love gardening, patchwork knitting & hand hooked rag rugs.

I can't say for certain what it does for me. It's a sad & gentle lament of a boy taken rudely from a home that he loved & thrust into the horrors of a civil war. He is pining for his river & his woman. Both unobtainable. I guess thats the commonality of it all. We are all reaching for things that are out of reach & sometimes out of sight. I'm not certain as I said, what it is in my case, but I think I know. I think it has too do with Grandparents that I never met. You know the continuity of the whole thing. Also I think it has to do with children & a grand daughter that live in another Island. The grand daughter I haven't met yet. I feel deprived I suppose of the whole family continuity thing. The only thing my father really passed on to me was a love of the out doors. None of the skills & interests that he really wanted me to have were of particular interest to me. That doesn't mean I didn't try; I just couldn't put my heart & soul into them. The things that consumed me as a teenager, namely reading & music, he just couldn't care less about. Family wise, I feel as though I am in a bit of a social vacuum.

Don't get me wrong here. I have two wonderful grand children in Auckland, but they function on a totally different level. I cant see them being interested in many of the things that I am. I will happily stand to be corrected though

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This music put me in quite a melancholy mood, Flattie, especially when combined with your beautiful blog. Thanks for calming me and helping me put things in perspective.

Much love to Herself.