Thursday, September 17, 2009

Spring has sprung

I'm sitting here typing with the smell of fresh rosemary on my hands. I love the smell of rosemary. It is possibly one of the most fragrant herbs that i know of. I use it a lot too. Both herself & I enjoy roast lamb, but things being what they are, the only time we lash out on a roast leg is when we have visitors. Its not cheap either, which I find ironic seeing as we grow the blasted stuff in profusion here. No, if it's just Herself & me, we usually invest in 3 or 4 lamb hocks. That way I don't end up eating cold meat for about 3 months. My favourite way of cooking them is to put them in a lidded roasting dish with a generous sprinkling of finely chopped fresh Rosemary, with a little salt for seasoning & red wine vinegar drizzled over them. Cook on a nice low heat,(about 140 in our oven) until tender. Remove from pan, drain off the fat, chuck in some garlic to brown, a slosh of red wine just because you can, then the water from the veges. In our case, silver beet. Swiss Chard by any other name OK ? Let it all simmer until all the brown bits are dissolved, season, thicken with cornflour & hey presto, a tasty gravy that really compliments lamb & mint sauce.

Anyway, spring has sort of snuck up on me unawares a bit. I should have realised. I was out back yesterday & Mr Blackbird was revelling in the birdbath. It didnt take much imagination to picture soap & a towel balanced on the edge of the bath. There were also about 4 cock sparrows competing rather noisily for the affection of what was obviously a very seductive & becoming young hen sparrow. Anyway, all this made me look with fresh eyes at my rockery & yea verily I was ashamed. Time has passed us by a bit & OK, as you know, we have been away a bit, but the plants had geared up & gone into overgrow mode while we weren't looking, so I just about had a Rosemary tree instead of a nice tidy little bush. So I gave it a haircut. Thats how come My hands smell of Rosemary.

While I was there I also got stuck in & did some weeding. You see, I need to do the weeding in the rockery so that I can put a mowing strip round the garden in the middle of the lawn. Confused ? Don't be. There are holes around my bathtub pool that need filling & building up. See the light now ? While I was doing it, I looked around as you do under such circumstances, & damn iffen there aint nice fresh buds on our grapevine & actual leaves on our Beech tree. OK, so we planted our vege garden a week or two back & the self sown broad beans are in bloom, but nothing drives spring home to you like the sight of fresh tender young buds optimistically breaking forth into the sunlight.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Once again, it seems so odd that while you're seeing the first signs of Spring, we're looking at the first signs of Autumn. Well, that would be the case if we were living anywhere in the U.S. other than Houston.

We HAVE been having some unseasonally cool weather the last couple of weeks. But that's probably just a preview of hurricane season, which so far has passed us by, thank God.

No, the heat will soon be back in all its blazing glory, and we'll be sweating and wearing shorts and sandals for the next two months and possibly even on Christmas Day.

Love and hugs to you and Herself...

cwnda said...

Ev'ry now and then you do wax lyrical, don'cha? -Ô¿Ô- 

Flattie said...

Thank you. I do try. In fact Herself frequently tells me that I'm trying all the time

Anonymous said...

Upslaps Cwnda

cwnda said...

What was that for?? -Ô¿Ô- 

Anonymous said...

Cos I can!
an' it is the Cat House after all.
Hugs Muna