Friday, October 16, 2009

Old Dan's Records.

I recently did a bit of what for me was a very clever little bit of horse trading. The details aren't important, but for me, its a win win situation. I have ended up with a lot more space in my garage & a kickass stereo system. I've been busy the last couple of days sorting it all out & installing it to my satisfaction. Its absolutely fantastic. I wont bore you with all the details, but I now have Wharfedale speakers at one end of the lounge & my good old trusty Fishers at the other end. TV & DVD all run back through it as well..

One of the things I had to do to run extra speaker wiring was shift one of the stacks of LP's that I have on the shelves. Its fatal to do that with me. It wasn't long before I was siting there thinking, "Hey, I haven't heard that one in a long time... Or this one. " See , these days I have such a good collection of CD's & they are so easy to play that I haven't given my vinyl much though. So there was "Gord's Gold" sitting there. Gordon Lightfoot. So me being a glutton for punishment I HAD to put it on. Herself is away at patchwork, so I can play it how I like... LOUD.

The only problem with playing Lightfoot is the memories he brings back. Some of the tracks bring back memories going right back to when my first marriage broke up. Good memories of a friend that I now have no idea where he is. he was a good friend at a tough time & he used to know Gordon. We used to sit in the cabin of his yacht & I would play & sing & he would sit there with a far away look on his face. He would tell me how much I reminded him of Gordon & how well we would get on.

One of the tracks on this album herself & I had played at our wedding. Its a very appropriate song for us now. We had no idea of the implications in it at the time. The track is Rainy Day People. Here it is..

No comments: