Friday, November 04, 2011

Can I smell my Lilacs please ?

Jude as I guess you know, before this accursed illness, was an avid & loving gardener. I'm doing my best to look after her beloved plants, but its an uphill battle. One of her most prized plants is a Lilac tree that in spite of my worst efforts so far, ( I haven't got to that garden yet & the base of it is smothered with Wandering Jew & that dreadful sticky creeper,) is an absolute picture of blossom. Colleen, our care giver, invades the garden every so often & makes up a vase full of flowers & puts it where Jude can see it from her chair in the lounge. The current bunch, which is in a beautiful light green glass vase that was one of my Mum's wedding presents, consists of some of her early roses with some of her precious Lilac.

Anyway, tonight we were sitting watching TV tonight & i saw her typing away on her Ipod. When she held it up, I read, "Can I smell my Lilacs please ?" I got up, went & got the vase for her & held it so that she could smell it. I must admit that the smell of Lilac in the evening is something to be treasured. She sat there inhaling the fragrance with tears streaming down her face. It struck me that it was so incredibly sad to have the ability to get up, walk outside & bury your face in fragrant blossom taken away from you. I held it there as long as she wanted then put it back on the coffee table. I must admit to a surreptitious wiping of my own eyes as well.

Our power company sent us a letter to inform us that they were going to be cutting our power for 5 hours on the 17th. of this month for maintainance, & if this presented a problem, to contact them. So I did, naively expecting them to front with a generator, but no. Their best suggestion was to go somewhere there was power. I nearly suggested somewhere THEY could go, but kept my cool. So I got to thinking. What would happen if we did have a major power outage like the one not so long ago that lasted 3 days ? So I am currently searching Trade Me for a 230 volt generator. There are quite a few there at the moment. Not surprisingly, a lot from Christchurch.

I went to the doctors today with a list. Most of which was for Jude. her current pain relief regime hasn't been doing its job lately, so I figured a review was in order. The acquisition of a rather ingenious pill crusher has opened up the range of medications substantially, so we have had major changes. Hopefully tonight will tell. She has gone straight off to sleep tonight without her usual 2 or 3 requests for suction, which is very hopeful. Maybe a good night's sleep is in the offing. God knows we both need it....

2 comments:

Janet said...

How wonderful that Jude still enjoys the simple pleasures in life- such as smelling her lilacs -humbling

The Gardiner's said...

Hope you both get some rest James. Been there done that with the power outage thing, if I still had my generator I would have sent it across for you, didn't even think...donated it to my daughters school for their school camps.