Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Requiem for a friend

I went to the hospital tonight to say goodbye to a friend. I havent known Jeff for all that long, only a couple of years. Since he, his lovely wife & his teenage daughter moved in next door in fact. he has led a most remarkable life; from a fitter & turner on the Tyneside to a personnnel manager in a Saudi Arabian fish farm in fact.

Jeff could always be relied upon to find something humerous in any situation, from our Kiwi ways, to being blown up in a terrorist attack. Even collapsing in the classroom & subsequently being diagnosed with terminal cancer of a particularly savage kind. When I first met him he was a big man with a big presence. In 6 months, I have seen him melt away to nothing. The two of them are very strong in each other & it has been quite amazing to see. Now they are both worn out & had enough. Jeff is ready to move on & Lorna understands & is ready to let him go. I admire their courage.

So fare you well my friend. Both Herself & me will miss you greatly, but we understand your need to move on. We love you...

1 comment:

Morticia said...

Oh dear Jamie, it's finally arrived. Please give Lorna and Sonia our regards and a big hug for whomever needs one :-(