Sunday, January 27, 2008

Paradise is twice as nice



This is the view from where herself & I had a picnic lunch in our boat today. A lovely little bay on the seaward side of Whanganui Island. As you can see it was lovely & sheltered. We had a wonderful day. came home with 10 nice pan sized snapper, & I had a real adrenaline rush when I hooked up on a Thresher Shark about 6 ft. long. This is what they look like although this pic doesnt do the colour of the beast justice.It was the most amazing shade of violet on top. It was making huge leaps out of the water & stripping line off the reel with the most amazing ease. I tightened the drag in the hope that it would either bust off or chew through the line but no. When I finally got him close enough, I could see that he was hooked in the corner of his mouth & no way was he chewing through. In the end, after about 6 runs away from the boat, I finally got him close enough for herself to cut the trace down by the hook. He sat & rested for a second or two before quietly swimming off. I suppose I could have gaffed it & got my hook back, but he really was too beautiful to hurt any more. Herself managed to get a shot with my camera of it, so when the film is developed & if it turns out OK, will post it here .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds, Flattie, like your best day at work SUCKS in comparison to your worst day fishing.

Bon appetit!

K

Flattie said...

Unfortunately, we covered a lot of ground. 2 tanks worth in fact. 50 litres, which translates to round 24 gallons, & gas aint cheap here, sooo, work I gotta