Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Chances of anything coming from Mars

Are about as likely as Hollywood doing a remake of a classic story & not butchering it badly. I came home last night after a 15 hour day at work, yes its absolute bloody madness there at the moment, to a wonderful tea. Herself had really excelled herself. Steak, homemade chips, sweetcorn, & beans picked freshly from our own garden, all helped along the way with 2 or 3 really cold beers.

Afterwards, while relaxing (blobbing out actually) on the sofa, I saw a leader for, "Tonight's Blockbuster Movie on 2, War of The Worlds." "Oooh," thinks I. "Lovely way to finish a stressy day seeing as I don't actually have to get up in the pre sparrow fart hours for work the next morning,"Gotta watch this." Turns out that its the Tom Cruise "What if" version... What if we shift the whole story to the US & modernise it. This means we don't have to spend big bucks on sets, & lets make TC an estranged crane driver with two kids to a remarried ex wife, Blardy blardy blah...

Dammit, I may be old fashioned, but H G got the story right when he wrote it. The original worked then , & it still works now. Ok, so I knew what was coming, because I had already wasted money going to see it on the big screen, but that was before I went to see Jeff Wayne's musical version. Now there was a version that ROCKED, but I think we have already been there . I guess I'm spoiled now forever.... Sighhhhhhh.

1 comment:

Morticia said...

"I guess I'm spoiled now forever.... Sighhhhhhh."

That WAS the intention, after all

:0)