Monday, April 07, 2008

Only in Whitianga


Would you find a sign like this in the public dunnies.God I love it... While I was there today, I saw a perfect example of adaptation in a wild animal. We actually managed to score 10 minutes or so to eat lunch & naturally enough had it on the waterfront. The usual crowd of seagulls noisily gathered to help us eat whatever we may choose not to. This included one adult bird who seemed to take an unusual amount of time to settle, & immediately lay down. This was due to the fact that although he had legs, he had no feet. I wondered how he would fare in the rough & tumble of group seagull feeding. It didn't take me long to find out. As I held the first bit of crust out the truck window, he was in the air in a flash, seizing the bread directly from my fingers & was gone before the other birds woke up to what was happening. He didn't come back. I wished that he would. i would have liked to reward his audacity with another bit of bread....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I LOVE stories like this. I was initially inclined to pity that poor footless bird, but now I pity the ones WITH feet! :-)

K