Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Quote of The Day...

Or probably the week..... Maybe even the year...... " Y'know a fucking man would do that for a fucking lady." Sorry about the French, but that's the way it went. The lady concerned..... Sorry, the FEMALE concerned, was in the hospitality trade too.. Behind the counter of a bottle store. You see, our contract with regards to this particular customer is strictly door to door, so for this place its all hand unload. We have for years done this at this particular outlet, but a different female was there today & she could see no earthly reason why I shouldn't take it all through to the back of the shop to the stock room & put it on the shelves for her. The bit at the top was one of the less salty bits of the conversation with her. I behaved myself admirably. The words, "If there was a lady present I might consider it" ran through my mind, but I kept my trap shut.

I'm trying to lose weight at the moment. I blimped out a bit while I was on holiday. I have my excuses/reasons, but they don't change the fact that I topped out at just over 120kg's. So far, I'm back down to 115.2 kg's, which isn't bad going for me. Ideally, I would like to get back to under 100 kg's, but we will see how we go. Breakfasts are a problem. I dont particularly like breakfast cereals; My doctor suggested fresh fruit, but much as I enjoy fruit, I can't face it at that hour of the day. I'm a good old 4 bits of toast man. Preferably with a fresh tomato still warm from the morning sun in our garden, garnished with judicious amounts of salt & pepper. Left over stew, a small tin of spaghetti, bacon tomato & eggs, poached eggs all find their way onto the menu eventually. A good brekkie sets me up for the day.

Lunch in my prime was 4 sandwiches. I cut that to two some years ago & recently got down to one. The reason that a sammy is good is that it balances nicely on the engine cowling in the lunchbox lid between bites while you are driving. My cholesterol is up too. I refuse to eat margerine for the same reason I refuse to spread bread with used axle grease. I don't think its very good for you. So now that I have the time to stop for 10 minutes or so to eat, I have started making salads. Its very satisfying to incorporate fresh vegetables from the garden as they come to maturity. I'm looking forward at this point to fresh runner beans, Basil & our own tomatoes. I augment this with small tins of tuna & , a recent discovery, small tins of shredded chicken meat, either smoked or with mayo. I didn't enjoy lunch today. In a burst of dietary fervour, I asked Herself to get me some Tofu.. Yep, you heard right, TOFU. this to give a bit of bulk to my salads without upping the calory count too high. She responded with something called "Tofu Luncheon." With considerable misgivings, I diced some into my salad today. Misgivings, because it looks suspiciously like the roll in the fridge that I hack lumps off to feed our dog. I also found a squeezy bottle of "Lite Mayonnaise" in the pantry. "Cool," I thought. Wrong on both counts. The tofu was bland & dry. The mayo didn't taste anything like a real mayo should.

Vegetarian & diet products are OK, But I see no reason why they have to be bland & tasteless, or that far removed from real taste so as not to resemble the original at all. I have long had a mistrust of artificial sweetners & lite this & lite that & todays lunch has only served to re enforce the prejudice. You see, I like food. I like to taste what I eat. I like robust flavour. I don't particularly like chillies though. A little heat is OK, but I really don't enjoy a really savage heat. I'll go back to my original plan I think. It may take a little longer to get the weight off, but at least I'll enjoy the ride a bit more.

Oh by the way ! You know I said the tofu looked like dog roll? Well I thought, "To hell with it. If it looks like dog food, the dog should eat it. " After all, he is on a diet too, & if it stops moving long enough, he will generally eat it. Well, I put it in his bowl tonight. He looked back over his shoulder at me reproachfully with a look that was eloquent in its silence. I took pity on him, deposited it in the pedal bin & gave him some fresh meat & bikkies instead. The crunch line is that if a hungry dog won't eat it, I sure as hell aren't going to. A man must have some principles you know....

3 comments:

Morticia said...

You would take food out of the mouths of dogs?

**Note to self: make sure to take the smelliest chicken necks with us on NYE, Nushie might get some dinner that way **

As for the rest of your post... one of your breakfasts would KILL me. Just the aroma alone is to die for. Pity I don't so breakfast...

Anonymous said...

You can mash tofu up with a fork, add some green onion, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and tumeric. Mix it all together and make a sandwich, it's very much like egg salad.
Fry tofu in oil, add spices and then tamari after it's cooked for a bit, add to a vegetarian spaghetti sauce.
Just some ideas.

Flattie said...

Point taken, but this was a roll of Tofu that had been processed, (colour & all) to visually resemble luncheon sausage, (Balogna) I think you call it. I though that it should be ready to eat as it was. It was bland, dry , & totally disgusting.