Sunday, December 06, 2009

RIP THE NOODLE POOCH


This was Misty. He started out 12 years ago as my Mum's first & only dog. As he was supposedly Bichon Friese, Poodle, Australian Terrier cross, he was going to be a cute cuddly lap dog for my Mum to spoil rotten in her old age. Sadly this didn't happen. He grew too big for her lap, & Mum eventually got that bad with senile dementia that she had to be institutionalised. So that left Misty to Herself & I. He really wasnt my sort of dog. He was too high maintanance for me. Always needing clipping, or brushing, or trips to the vet or something.

For all that, we grew to love him. We figured out ways round his habit of chewing himself red raw & trying to eat his paw. We even learned to tolerate his finicky ways with food. If he was sick of what you put in front of him, he wouldn't eat. Some times for up to 2 days, which was generally where I gave in & fed him. In the 12 years that we have known Misty, I cant recall him ever even growling at anyone, let alone try to bite them. he loved to play with Mac, of the long legs next door, contenting himself with one lap of the lawn to Mac's 4 & also enjoyed putting the neighbourhood pups, Woofy & Shadow in their respective places, trying to instill a little doggy dignity to them. I know he will be missed by Nushy the Whirly Dog & her family in Tauranga. Visits in either direction were greatly anticipated by them both.

I know I used to make fun of him by telling people that he was a Pedigree Idiot when they asked his breed. I know I used to get very frustrated with him when he wouldnt eat, or wouldnt stop chewing at himself, especially at 3 in the morning when I was having trouble sleeping, but for all that I did love him. I loved the way that he would come into the office & sit beside me & grunt, louder & louder until I gave in & put a hand down to scratch his ear. I loved the way that he would curl up on the floor as close as he could get to Herself when she went to bed not feeling well.

Sadly, yesterday as I was backing out of our driveway he walked in behind Sherman & went under one of the back wheels. We took him to the vet, but sadly because of his age & the absolute & utter mess I made of his pelvic , hip & leg bones. There was only one kind thing to do. I'm gonna miss you , you silly old bastard. Go chase some cats & enjoy fresh chicken at every meal.

5 comments:

Morticia said...

Ol' Misty has gone where the good dawgies go, forever chasing rabbits across the Rainbow Bridge. We'll all miss laughing at his spotty tummy while he "did the retard" on his back and waved his paws in the air and I know Nush will miss him heaps. It might have been cut a little short, but he had a damned fine life. Big hugs.

Flattie said...

Thanks

Kathy said...

Flattie, Tish just reminded me of something. In case you're interested, there's an excellent website where you can leave a short written memorial for pets who have died. I've done so for two of our many pets who have left us, Aggie and Junior, and from time to time I'll read them and cry. It's good for the soul for us to occasionally remember the faithful four-legged companions who help us get through life.

The website is http://rainbowbridge.org/home.aspx.

I'm so sorry to hear about Misty. I wish I could've met him in person, but plan to do so some day after I've greeted my own menagerie on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Anonymous said...

Aww sorry to hear that. He seemed to be such an inoffensive wee dog when we had the pleasure of meeting your lovely Mum and Misty.
Hugs Muna

Unknown said...

So sorry for you both Flattie :-( Its been a rough old year for you, I'd love to be able to give you a hug in person, but you'll just have to accept my cyber hug.