Thursday, December 22, 2011

Back on the road.

My two sons God bless 'em, decided that it wasn't a good thing for me to spend Xmas on my own, a sentiment that I whole heartedly approve of. I didn't want to fly down, as that would present complications with my little dog, who I didnt want to leave behind. So I decided to drive down. Ian decided that he didn't want me driving down on my own, so he flew up & drove down with me. I'm glad he did. It meant that I was able to show him where I scattered his Poppies ashes on the top of Mt Messenger. It also allowed him to catch up with an old school friend in Hawera. I didn't sleep well that night. I didnt put the bung back in the air bed & me & the little dog ended up cast on our backs in the middle like a couple of old fly blown ewes.

Catching up with Rob & Heather in Wellington was great, made even better by the fact that Rob & Ian spent the evening chatting away as if they had known each other all their lives. A 2.30 AM crossing coupled with a lusty blustery Southerly made sure that we didn't get a lot of sleep in spite of having comfortable warm bunks in a cabin. So it was a couple of tired wee lads & a very much relieved little dog that disembarked at Picton & set off for Dunedin. it was a tough drive but we did it in a day, much to the relief of all involved including the dog.

So here we are in Dunedin having a wonderful time. So far, I have had what is rapidly becoming a tradition, namely a tattoo followed by a kebab. It's a beaut. I f you want to see it go to my facebook page. I went fishing yesterday with the father of one of Leasa's friends. It was really a cae of the blind leading the blind, as he had only had his boat out 2 or 3 times before & was actually relying on me to show him where the fish were. He did catch one small Blue Cod & was very happy, as it was the first one he had caught out of his new boat. We also got to see heaaps of seals swimming in the water out by the point & some beautiful scenery as well. Its been over a year since I have been out on the water & the Viking side of my psyche is well appeased. I have also been enjoying some really relaxing time with my family. It is so good not to have anything to worry about except what clothes to put on.Iian & Leasa & Conaire have been wonderful to me in so far as they have provided a stress free environment for me to relax, refresh & recharge.

As I have been sitting writing this, we have experienced the second of 2 earth tremors that Christchurch has experienced today. I was asleep for the first, but Ian felt it. Hey enough already. Haven't they had enough in a year without doing this to them so close to Xmas. My heart goes out to them.

So, I'm looking forward to Xmas. Spending time with my family offers the promise of regeneration, recharge & a fresh outlook on life. New Years Eve, I will drive down to Inver argill, (yes folks, very carefully) with my little dog & spend a night or two at Madz's place. Quite looking forward to getting po faced with her & playing cards for the evening to see in the New Year. Then its back to spend a week or two with my other son, Sean & his family, then the start of the long trek home. But even that will be a pleasure as life changing events are starting to unfold for me in a most joyous way. I have had enough sadness & sorrow in my life the last few years & things are happening that promise a whole new life.

So, Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year to you all. May you celebrate & enjoy it in what ever fashion you wish. May your fondest dream for the new Year be the worst thing that happens to you &, Most importantly, may the skin of your bum never cover the head of a banjo...

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I've never really thought about my bum skin covering a banjo. But NOW I will! :-D

It sounds like you're in for a wonderful time of R&R, family, and friends. You sound better than you have in years. I'll admit that your "life changing events" that "are starting to unfold" for you have me a bit intrigued.

We have many troublesome goings on here in Texas, so if you haven't heard much from me lately, that's why. I'll try and catch you up on it as soon as possible, but probably not until you get home.

Here's to a wonderfully merry Christmas and a spectacular New Year for you and your entire family!

Much love and many hugs,
K