Friday, December 30, 2011

Culture Vulture

. Dunedin never fails to surprise me with its rich diversity & vibrancy. Today, after we had wrung the last few bargains from the post Xmas sales, Ian & Leasa decided that a touch of culture would do us all the world of good, so we headed for the Municipal Art gallery via the Scottish shop. We did this so that I could replace the somewhat tattered & bedraggled Scottish flag on Sherman's aerial, that I had purchased last time we were here. While I was in there I also bought a "Clan Clootie," which, to the uninitiated, is a very good quality linen tea towel with my clan crest on that I intend to get framed once I get home.

So, onwards to the Art Gallery. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised. Situated in the middle of the hubbub & activity of The Octagon, it provides a haven of peace & contemplative tranquillity & a surprisingly eclectic selection of work. I was most surprised & pleased to find a work there that I had hung in the Gisborne Museum & Art gallery during my tenure as handyman/carpenter. It was like meeting an old friend. It was a piece that had travelled with the Benson & Hedges Art Award road show. Apart from that, the works on display showed an amazing depth & array, from the odd Constable or two, through to local semi folk art to a very modern display featuring a "Black" them, which I really failed to grasp the essence of.

There was a wonderful collection of photographic prints by an artist called Fiona Pardington, & my favourite exhibition of all , a selection of Japanese woodcut prints with a Kabuki theme. The depth of detail in these is absolutely stunning. All this & free entry. Absolutely wonderful.

After that it was back to reality in the Meridian mall for lunch. Hustly bustly mayhem at best, followed by a visit to JB Hifi, which led to a round of self castigation over having left my brother in law's most generous gift card behind. I did come away however, with Dylans latest disc, which updaates my collection, & a DVD of Dylan's performances at the Newport folk festival in the 60's. Home for a snooze & then out for Domino Pizza's for tea. All in all, a lovely way to spend my last day with Ian & Leasa. Tomorrow, the little dog & I are heading for Invercargill to spend New Years Eve with Madz. Can't wait

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Fun times!!! Happy New Year, dear friend!!!

K