Monday, May 07, 2007

Shoes & Ships

On Saturday morning , we went to Hamilton. Just for a change... You see, I was silly enough to mention to herself that a company called Boating world was having a closing down sale. I thought that looking at boats for sale was a good idea, but changed my mind as I go to Hamilton every day anyway. Herself, with her usual persuasive charm, changed my mind for me & we went. We didnt find a boat there, but herself did find a couple of grotty old chairs that she insists will look wonderful recovered & given pride of place in the spare room. Me, I'm not so sure, but we have them. After that, we invited ourselves round to a work colleagues new place for a cuppa. Herself being herself, didnt wish to go empty handed, so we called into the New World Supermarket just up the road from the boat place.

In Thames, we only have Pak n Save, where unless you know the operator, your service is indifferent at best, with the girls acting as if they are doing you a favour just by being there , let alone providing a pleasant shopping experience. Not so at this particular New World. The youmg lass at the checkout chatted away to us as if we were long lost cousins & not Mr & Mrs Joe Soap that she has never seen before & in all likelyhood will never see again. I was that impressed that I found the supervisor & remarked to her about it. You see I believe that good service should be commented on as well as bad. I think the supervisor was having a crappy day, as her face positively lit up when she realized that I wasnt there to whinge.

So we went over to Melville , had our cuppa with my workmate & headed home via Morrinsville. On a whim , we decided to have a mooch through a large boatyard in Morrinsville. They not only sell & service boats there they make them. Its an old family firm & very successful. We had a good look round the yard & saw a few possibilities. Right up to the point where we saw this...

Its a Haines Signature Class Bermuda Renegade. 15 foot of very nice boat. You see , Herself is sick of getting wet every time we go fishing & with her poor old body being as it is needs to stretch her legs & walk about a bit. So we bought it. Its powered by a 90 HP Yamaha 2 stroke motor for the technically minded, nicely set up with a power winch for the anchor & hydraulic tilt on the motor. Its going to be cleaned & fully serviced over this week. We get to pick it up next Saturday morning. Weather permitting, we will be fishing Sunday. We cant wait.........

No comments: