Friday, September 14, 2007

Do you know the piano's on my foot ?

This afternoon when I got back from Tauranga, I was sent out in the old Ford, the one with half a broom stick stuck in a meat grinder for a gear box with three deliveries requiring a fork lift for delivery. Daniel followed me on the forkhoist as we went round delivering to unload. I have known Daniel since he was a very angry 8 year old, now I work with him... How time flys. Anyway, one of the deliveries was to a new shop in town called "Sun & Moon" The recipient was a very voluble little Asian in a white hat. After I got home, I got changed & herself & me went out for tea to our favourite restaurant, De Luca's. After the usual beautiful meal, we still had enough room for dessert, so I had this..... Chocolate Fettucine with raspberrys & cream.


Now, I'm not saying that I would actually commit murder for this dessert. Grievous bodily harm, certainly, & perjury , yes, & probably a couple of other "Thou shalt nots"as well. Damn, but it was nice. Well, after that we went for a wander & happened to walk past the Sun & Moon, so I regaled herself with the story of the Piano in full 3 part harmony & the 8X10 colour glossy photographs, while we peered through the window at a wonderland of Oriental treasure, the center piece in the window being an exquisitely crafted wooden bath for two.

As we stood & gazed, the said little Oriental came & opened the front door & invited us in for a preview. Gone was the voluble & excited little man that received his daughters piano that afternoon. Instead we were treated to an amazing lesson in history & philosophy & religion by a gentle, earnest Taiwanese Gentleman. The pieces he has on show are exquisite. A lot of them are copied from artifacts on display at the Taipei National Museum. This place, something that I already knew, has an absolutely priceless collection removed from Mainland China in the face of the ravening hordes of Communism. The furniture that he has for sale is the sort of furniture that just invites you to run your hand over it & he is more than happy to let you do so. There is even an area at the back with a comfortable lounge suite where you can sit quietly & wonder what to buy while he makes & serves you tea. Not that we were invited to buy. "You can come in and look, but not for sale till next Thursday."

He has moved down here from Half Moon Bay in Auckland. "Why have half a moon up there when you can have the full one down here?" His name translates to James Sun & Moon, a name implying a bright personality, which he certainly is. I learned a lot tonight about things like the different incarnations of Buddha & the different 'isms in Chinese religion. I learned that he was familiar with the analogy of the blind men & the elephant.. Here if you don't know about it.. We had a wonderful time, interrupted only by our daughter ,who is in the throes of buying a house, ringing Herself on the mobile wanting to know, "Where the bloody hell are you ?" Jeesh, anyone would think we weren't allowed out without a keeper.

Anyway, we had a lovely evening all told, which hopefully will segue (isn't that a neat word) once again here into a great weekend. The haul out winch is repaired on my boat trailer, the scallops & the snapper are in the water waiting & we are ready to rock. Now is time to retire & digest, both physically & spiritually I think. Both body & soul have been well nurtured tonight.. Bless you all....

2 comments:

Morticia said...

My fav word, segue. You do get into some interesting discussion out and about, dontcha. :-)

Flattie said...

I do sorta tend, as you have no doubt noticed by now, to sorta barrel on in where your average angel wouldn't even contemplate looking at let alone tread