Saturday, June 28, 2008

Knob Ends in abundance

Yesterday, in case you hadn't noticed, or live anywhere other than our sainted isles, the weather was absolutely atrocious. Relatively fine periods with strong winds interspersed with these savage squalls that if one was sailing, would have one reaching for the halyards to haul everything in & disappearing below for a mug of hot toddy.

Sadly, when I'm working, I don't have that option. In my job, it's a bit like the US mail,(Or any other mail for that matter,) it's got to go through. It made for some very interesting driving conditions I don't mind telling you. Bearing that in mind, you can imagine my amazement on rounding a corner coming in to Te Kouma (look it up) & seeing about 20 or so cyclists gathered at the intersection getting ready to do the last leg of their ride into Coromandel. Now this bit involves a ride along a straight that is renowned for the wind gusts that roar up the harbour & slam into your vehicle with no mercy pushing you over the white line if you're not careful.

So here's me in my van with a layer of polar fleece & the heater on(the latter MOST unusual for me) & here's these knob ends on their pushbikes clad in nothing but a layer of Lycra in various garish hues, stupid little polystyrene helmets & generally the most inane, idiotic smiles that you could ever imagine. The kicker is that they were actually PAYING to have various parts of their reproductive equipment frozen off. Yes folks, they were part of one of these "Adventure Holiday" deals that you see, where somebody drives along in front of them in a van with indicators flashing & generally pisses the rest of of the motoring public off highly. Now me, if I was going to pay for not enjoying myself, would probably book a visit to Madame Monika's House of Pain. At least it would be warm there I suppose.......

OTHER NEWS

In these days of rising fuel costs etc, one has to do what one can to conserve the stuff. personally, I'm thinking of buying one of these if they ever hit the general market. Not only would they be energy efficient, they also recycle as well

Not too sure about towing the boat though...

While on the subject of knob ends out in inappropriate weather, we be off to Albany this morning. Its our Grandson's 8th birthday. Also, hopefully, the first time in 10 years that herself's 3 kids will be together in one spot for a photo. Yes, we will drive with care, specially on the Harbour Bridge....

1 comment:

Morticia said...

Im pleased you drove carefully. Especially on the bridge. You know how I worries. Almost as much as I would for those bike seat knobends when you run them over in the Mini-Mini.

A new sport is born. Knob Nobbling.