Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Eight Miles High

At least thats what I felt like this morning. Not sure why. It could have been for a variety of reasons. For a start, i didn't take my sleeping tablet till late last night. About half an hour after I turned the light off & I didn't go to bed till quite late, & read for about half an hour. I was going to try a night without them, but I chickened out. See, my old mate Hawkeye rang about twenty past seven last night & we talked till after ten. It seems that yesterday marked two years since his wife Jen, passed away. Hawkeye has had a major heart attack since then & I think he is feeling his mortality a bit.

The conversation eventually degenerated into the usual "Remember when" session. We both agree that someone should write a book, but also agree that nobody would believe half the stories anyway. Add to that, some of the stories would probably break marriages & occasion law suites, so I guess not. Its always good talking to Hawkeye. We are old comrades in arms from Fire Service days & we seem to fit each other like a comfortable old pair of slippers. Even the fact that he really fancies his chances with Herself is Ok as well. Herself regards this with a sort of bemused bewilderment tinged with a little amusement. I know Hawkeye is all shit & feathers anyway & would rather cut his drinking arm off than offend me.

Night before last, I talked on instant message to somebody who I prefer not to associate with, but she is lonely & basically has a good heart. Aside from offering any help she could for Herself & I she also told me some horror stories about my thyroid medication. Being the level headed sort of bloke that I am, I checked it out with both the Chemist & the Doctor. I have nothing to worry about, but it turns out that I have been taking my tablets at the wrong time of day for the last 20 odd years. I have been taking it in the evenings & am supposed to take it in the mornings half an hour before eating, so I changed today. That might also be another reason for feeling so weird.

An aside from this is that the chemist who looked after my family for years has sold his business & set himself up as a natural health practitioner & he just happened to be filling in at the Chemist we now go to. I filled him in on what had been happening with regards to Herself, & also queried about my Thyroxine. He rang back about an hour later with some very good council on both. He also phoned later that evening & asked us if we would come down to his clinic as he wanted to run a few things by us. We went out to Kopu, got some really lovely fish & chips, took them down the coast a bit & sat & ate them before going in.

What actually happened was that he gave Herself a consultation that lasted about an hour & a half & then refused to charge her for it. What he said made an awful lot of sense. Apart from cutting bits out or off, modern medicine can't actually cure anything. All it can do is mask or lessen the symptoms till they either become bearable or go away by themselves. he made a lot of sense. he also wrote it all down for us. We are going to give it a try at the least. At the best it could prolong Herself's time here. At the worst, she will die healthy. At least we will know that we have tried.

No comments: