Saturday, August 30, 2008

Home is the hunter

Well, its fairly evident that we are back from Dunedin. We had a great time. The only bad bit was when they wouldn't let herself take her knitting on the plane on the trip down, but we survived that. I took about 300 odd photo's but due to a glitch with the camera at present, this is the only photo that I took that I have managed to retrieve. When I figure out how I did it , I will probably bore you all with a lot more.

This is two very proud Grandparents having their first of many cuddles with Anna Jayne, Our precious wee grand daughter at the Dunedin Air terminal. She is so cute, but I'm probably biased I guess. We had an absolutely wonderful time. My boys did us proud. Sean looked after us wonderfully & was extremely generous in sharing his time & his wee daughter with us. he took us to a place called Macrae, about an hours drive north of Dunedin where there is a huge open cast gold mine & a little further on, an old mining town, complete with a stamper battery. From there we went up to Moeraki, to look at the round boulders on the beach. I thought there was heaps of them, but they are only on a small part of the beach. I will show the pics when I figure out how to get them out of my camera.

We stayed with Ian on the weekend, & celebrated his wife's birthday the day we arrived. We had dinner at the Speights Brewery Restaurant, a wonderful place with incredible atmosphere. Again , pictures to follow. Ian works part time as a bouncer at various night clubs in the city & Saturday night on the grog with him was a real eye opener. One of the places he works is called "Monkey's Bar" & is an old church. Its under the Historic Places Trust, so can't be altered. Picture the organ pipes at the back with the disco gear in front of them. Very dramatic. Like something out of a Goth Vampire movie. He took us to the Chinese Gardens on Sunday. They were prefabricated in China, shipped out & assembled by teams of little Chinese men with wheel barrows. A lovely place. Again , photo's to follow.

The trip home was interesting. Too much cloud for sight seeing, but it didn't matter. We were sat next to a fascinating lady called Camelia, no kidding, who is a psychologist from Transylvania, again, I kid you not. It's actually part of Roumania, but you knew that, & she was there during the fall of Communism in '89 & did she have some stories. Touch down in Auckland was almost a let down she was so interesting. The final nice thing that happened was my boss rang Friday & said I could have another week off, maybe two so I might get some fishing & concreting done after all. Well, thats the Readers Digest version of our week away. More to follow when I can retrieve my photo's

No comments: