Friday, July 17, 2009

Old friends, book ends

Herself & I went out for tea tonight. We went to the Workingman's Club in town. An old friend of mine, Peter, invited us. Him & his wife are off to Australia for 3 weeks holiday. It was Karaoke night as well. Its not a place that I normally go to, because I used to work there, but we enjoyed ourselves. It was good company with some that I knew & some that I didn't know at the table. What was nice was that a number of people that we have known for years came over to our table to say "Gidday" & pass the time of day.

We had a nice meal as well. Nothing flash, but it was cooked nicely & there was plenty of it & the company was good. It was nice to be able to relax & have a few beers as well. Herself isn't drinking at the moment, because she is on some fairly hefty pain medication that precludes alcohol. Still, she had a nice meal out & contact with some lovely folk that made a point of coming over for a hug from her. She was hurting a lot by the end of the evening though.

I'm not entirely happy about the way things are for her at the moment. Her level of pain control is much higher than I feel that it should be. I think I am going to take her back to the doctors next week. I know that if it gets any worse over the weekend I will have no hesitation in taking her to the hospital. It can be a very lonely place to be when you have the responsibility of someone you love's health in your hands. Some time its really hard to make decisions for someone else, but hey, I guess you do what you have to when you have to.

I will keep you all posted anyway. In the meantime, we had a lovely evening out. Herself is now safe & warm snuggled up in bed with 2 ginger cats as hot water bottles & a silly old dog on self appointed guard duty at her side. Its raining outside, but the fire is going & we are all warm & dry. Life does have its compensations I suppose. If you look for them that is..

3 comments:

Kathy said...

The trick, of course, is to look for them (those compensations you mentioned, that is). And that's what you've done. Good on ya.

Anonymous said...

Smiles - that's so good that you and herself had a good time. Do hope she is is feeling a bit better now?

Anonymous said...

Just keeping an eye on you folks...Hugs Muna