Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hands Across The Water.


OK, so I used that caption on my Face Book page as well, but I really can't think of a more appropriate title. We have had the pleasure of the company of international guests for a very hectic 24 hours.

Not just any international guests, mind you. We had Cory & her husband Rob with us. Cory is the niece of my dear Texan friend Kathy, with whom I have corresponded in one form or another for the last 45 odd years. Cory & Rob are lovely people. Right from the first hug across the barrier at the airport, I knew we were going to get along fine. I think the only time the 3 of us stopped talking was when we finally collapsed exhausted into bed last night. We had a blast. I took them for a drive up the Kauarenga Valley & stopped for a swim at what is, in my estimation, one of the most beautiful fresh water swimming holes in New Zealand, complete with a cliff to jump off at different heights. Rob, to his credit, did launch himself from the mid range ledge. Cory & I discovered pressing engagements at the other end of the pool.

The nicest thing about it , I think, is that for just a little while, I could relax, & do something normal in good company. Sadly, Hoffman's Pool is out of the question for Jude now as it is a fairly rough track to get there. Lying back in the water brought back some lovely memories of times past when we used to go there to relax. Sadly, our time together had to end all too soon as they had reservations to fly to Queenstown to do some tramping, but they will be back for a few days at the end of their trip, so hopefully we will be able to spend some time on the water & include Jude this time, so , for now, its Haere Ra, Haere Ra & Haere Mai Haere mai.

I'm getting concerned for myself. I'm starting to find simple pleasures in life out of such mundane things as hanging out the washing & doing the odd spot of gardening. I've thought about this a fair bit & I think that the main factor is time. When you work, things like gardening & washing are chores that you rush through so that you can get on with the main business of relaxing in your leisure hours. I don't have that problem now. Our back yard is a quiet & gentle place where mostly all you hear is bird song. While I'm there, the little dog is generally busy snuffling round, either very carefully picking flowers or rosehips & eating them, hunting for God knows what in the garden, or lying down crunching a bone. Either way, its relaxing. If I'm weeding, which to tell the truth I really don't enjoy, she is right there with me investigating every clump of grass that comes out. I enjoy pruning the roses now as well. It gave me great satisfaction tonight to bring in a modest bunch of red & white roses to put in a vase for her to enjoy. I know she loves them so.

Healthwise, she has stabilised somewhat; I think the cooler weather is helping a bit. She even managed the trip to the airport & back without too many visible signs of distress, although I must admit that I did enjoy my afternoon snooze as well. She has an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow afternoon, the first in a while. I think that traumatic as it has been, she has stabilised at the next level of her illness & I guess we will both just have to get used to it. It's not easy though.....

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You are truly on one of life's roller coasters right now, aren't you? And yet, knowing you, you will brace yourself and hang on, regardless of what kind of twists, turns, highs or lows with which you are faced.

Thanks for letting us know that Jude has stabilized. That was VERY good news.

K