Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blue Smoke goes drifting by

Very much so over the last few days. Sadly it hasn't been drifting so much as hanging around. There hasn't been enough breeze to shift it. Jude has also had a couple of really bad nights as well, but I didn't connect the two until about 2.00 AM this morning when I got up for about the 4th time to suction her mouth out. I could feel the smoke in my eyes & smell it.

Perhaps I should explain. Normally I fill our firebox with wood & shut it right off. That way it smoulders all night, keeps the lounge nice & warm for Jude when she gets up & all I have to do in the morning is open it up again & add more wood. It does produce a lot of smoke though & if there isn't any breeze at all the smoke doesn't go away. If it doesn't go away it ends up in our lungs. Not so much a problem for an old smoke eater like me but for someone as delicate as Jude is these days, its absolute bad news, so I opened the dampers & burnt the wood off. We both slept better after that. So we know now that we need to save our fires for windy or rainy nights. Live & learn I guess.

It's been a funny old week. last Thursday, while we were out for our walk, my little dog got attacked by some mutt not on a lead. When I finally got it off her poor little Whispa took off like a rocket. We found her about an hour later something like 2 kilometers away. I found out how much she means to me then I think. Christopher came down again this weekend. He is always good to have around. Not only does he provide good moral support, he also just quietly puddles away doing stuff round the house without being asked, which is wonderful. Jude's brother & sister also came down for a flying visit on Sunday morning for the second weekend in a row. Elsa left her rings here on their last visit & they decided that it was a good excuse for a second visit to come down to get them. It was good for Chris to get to spend a little time with them as well.

Tuesday saw me doing my second gig at the library. Attendance wasnt that great, but I counted it a win because a reasonable amount of people stopped for a while to listen to at least one of my songs. All the bugs have been ironed out with my new strings & the old beast stayed sweet sounding for the whole hour & I felt really good about it so its all good.

Well, thats my week. At the moment, I'm working out in my mind an idea for a pair of ramps to raise the seat on Judes wheelchair to the same height as the seat in Sherman so that I can slide her straight across from the chair to the wagon. I think I will make it from wood first, to make sure it works, then talk to an engineering firm to get it fabricated from lite aluminium. Will keep you posted regarding it & post photos. Have a good week guys.

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

I tried to post a comment on your 'Last Taboo' post but not sure it 'took'. If not, just wanted to try again to say how helpful I find your comments on my blog. I may be repeating myself here, but reading your blog is so helpful for me, although hard to do sometimes as it tells me what we face here. But you and Jude also give me hope that we can carry on and enjoy being together as long as possible. Love to hear about your music!

Flattie said...

Hi Deidre, Yes both comments went through. I have my blog set so that I have to approve comments before they publish. That way I get rid of spam.

Please don't be daunted by anything I write. I did feel the same way, but have come to the realisation that the deterioration isn't something that happens over night. It is, as you know, progressive & so progressively, you will find the inner strength to cope with it. As you say, it is good to have something exclusively yours. I really enjoy your writing. I find that mine if nothing else, helps me keep focused on what is happening around & inside me. Take care & stay strong, James.