Monday, May 30, 2011

It ain't half hot mum...


For a little dog that has spent both winters so far of her life, Whispa has proved to be quite up with the play when it comes to the fire. When I am setting it, she is right there being her usual inquisitive self. As you can see, she also enjoys the warmth. Another thing she has taken to doing is when I have my afternoon nap, she will sometimes get down off the bed , go out to the lounge & sprawl out in the sunny patch that comes through the lounge window about 2.00 in the afternoon. She really is rather keen on the concept of keeping warm. as I have found when I wake up in the morning, she is also not averse to snuggling down under the blankets with me if it gets cold. Either that, or worming her way in between my two pillows to keep warm. Yes, I know I shouldn't let her, & yes, I know she should sleep on her own bed on the floor, but she is such a loving little animal that I just let her be where she wants to be.

Jude has been having problems with her stoma lately with infection. The ointments aren't helping & she is in constant pain with it. The pain patches make her nauseous, so we have been using liquid paracetemol. The last time we went to the doctors, he took a swab & gave her 2 different creams for it. which haven't significantly helped. The District Nurses have been coming twice a week & treating granulation on it with silver nitrate, which does help a little. WE have a big day booked tomorrow. Our carer comes at 08.30ish & the district nurse soon thereafter. Sheena, the District Nurse, has lit a fire under the physio at the hospital & we have our first hydrotherapy appointment at 12.30 as well. I think I am going to have a tired little chicken on my hands by the time I get her home.

One of the problems that I thought we had surmounted raised it's ugly head again this weekend. Communication. She saw fit to tell her son that the cold water & cold Fortisip that we pump in to her is giving her the chills. Not so bad in the summer I guess, but most uncomfortable in the winter. I've solved it. Warm water, & remove the straws off the sides of the Fortisip bottles, take the foil seal off the top & put the 3 bottles in the microwave for 1 minute.

The open fire is good, but we have to be very careful about smoke coming into the room. I think it's going to be a difficult winter.

No comments: