Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Eight miles high

About the only good thing about my recent sojourn care of the Health system was that it enabled me to catch up on some serious music listening. You see, I asked Herself to bring in for me my CD Walkman, my wallet of CD's & a generous supply of AA batteries. I listen to music on two separate levels you see. If I am working around home, I play a disc, generally either Blues or Irish music, quite loud & warble away melodiously, much to the probable disgust of the neighbours.

On the other hand, if I really want to LISTEN to music, I will sit down with headphones on & the volume at the appropriate level, (sometimes quiet & some times loud), close my eyes & immerse myself totally in every nuance of tone & melody & lyric, so you can understand that this was a preferable option for me over such stimulating pieces as Overture for Bedpans in A# minor, or similar opuses, or should that be opi, after all, the plural of octopus IS octopi isn't it? I don't know. If you want to know, go Google it. I really don't care.

Anyway, so here I was with earphones on, eyes closed, & the dulcet tones of Dylan warbling through his latest album, Modern Times. At times like this, its very easy for me to get to a special quiet little place in my head that I can otherwise get to by means of meditation. Please remember also that at this point I was high as a kite on morphine. All of a sudden I came to the realisation that not only had I reached my place in the sun I had gone beyond it, & the music had taken on a whole new level of depth & that I was seeing it with enhanced perception. As I lay there absolutely entranced, & really digging all this, there came a hand upon my shoulder & the cheery voice of the orderly, "Come on James, its time for your ultra sound scan. What are you listening to anyway?" Somehow the answer, "The vibrations of the cosmos." seemed somewhat banal, so I just said "Dylan" Turns out he is a big Dylan fan as well, so we had a great old chat all the way down in the lift. Mood gone forever.

Y0u needn't worry , gentle reader, about the possibility of me becoming a dope fiend & wasting away my life on a search for that elusive first high. The trip to that place is not one that I care to make except under extreme duress. Vomiting & unconsciousness has sort of lost its appeal over the last few days. Anyway, it takes too long to get straight again. I still feel decidedly strange....

No comments: