Thursday, October 25, 2007

Shelter From the Storm

One of the down sides to being a recidivistic Loopy is that the most insignificant things can ruin an otherwise great day by grabbing the scruff of your neck & plunging you into a really blue & introspective mood. It happened to me today. You see, the music on Hauraki is getting a touch progressive for my liking, so I listen to the Morning Pirates till 9.00, then switch over to Solid Gold & lose myself in the 60's & 70's. The track that did it for me today was a Simon & Garfunkel one, namely Slip Sliding away. A lovely song, but the lyrics affected me badly.

Another downside, while on the subject, is that I seem to have difficulties starting new projects, especially if they involve something that I'm not really terribly conversant with. For example, I have a bit of concreting to do round the place. I bought a mixer, have bags of premix, know what to do & have the tools to do it with, but.......................... Another example is the spouting on the house. Its not a high house, & I have completely redone at least two houses in the past, but again.............. I don't know what it is. I have spent a lot of time thinking about why it is. The nearest that I can come up with is a cross between lack of motivation & loss of confidence. I don't know. Herself has been very patient with me, but the work still isnt being done. Being a perfectionist Virgo, I like to do it right & things like concrete are very difficult to fix if you happen to fuck it up.

Anyway, back to the blues. I have by trial & error come up with a way to cut my bluesy bits down from 2 or 3 days to 2 or 3 hours. Just put some Bob Dylan on quite loud & listen to it. Dylan to me at those times produces the same sense of security as snuggling down under a favourite eiderdown in the height of a thunderstorm. It doesn't actually provide any physical protection. It just makes you feel warm & secure. Emotional shelter from the storm in both cases.

No comments: