Monday, October 22, 2007

So it's Labour Day.

I suppose you are expecting me to compose something that waves red flags & blathers on about Brotherhood, Solidarity & Up the Unions. Well, I'm not going to. Do you know why ? A couple of reasons. One is that I have never really been that big on the whole Solidarity/Trade Union/Glasnost thing. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge & accept the part that unions have played over the years in achieving a safe & reasonable workplace/wage environment. It just seems to me that every time I hear a union official making a point in the media, I hear a Pommy, (English) accent. The inference is that Kiwi's have been around sheep too long & lack the ability to achieve significant results for themselves. Apparently, in the UK, Kiwi's are sought after as workers because of their "can do" attitude. So why do we need Poms to run our unions? Is this one thing we "Can't do ?"

I really would like to have been able to say that we have been fishing all weekend too, but I cant even do that. We have had a traditional Labour weekend weatherwise too. Cold & shitty with lots of wind.

The main reason that I haven't been anywhere, done anything though is that I have been sick. Three days of a bad tummy bug. Real bad. Three days of saline drips & morphine in the hospital. I really cant understand how anyone can get addicted to Morphine. OK there is pain relief. That is wonderful. But for me, its accompanied by vomiting & passing out. Sometimes simultaneously. Once I even managed to vomit through my nose at the same time. Who says men are incapable of multi tasking ? It was just as well that my step daughter had dropped everything & come down to give herself moral support. She had to come collect me from the Hospital, because Herself was home in bed with the same bug. Fortunately Herself's bout of it wasn't severe enough to warrant hospitalisation.

Anyway, we are both muchly improved, though still feeling like hell hit with a brick, so just gonna spend Labour Day quietly at home thinking of excuses why we can't mow lawns & do gardening etc.. Happy what ever & back to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a helluva bug, my friend! Glad to hear that you and Herself are feeling better.

K