Friday, September 10, 2010

Thoughts & reflections on reaching the venerable age of sixty

It's been a lovely spring day here in Dunedin. The sort of day that encourages sitting in the sun thinking, so that is what I have been doing. That is of course in between hanging out washing, cuddling grandchildren & going to the supermarket & finally giving in to temptation & going in to the Danish Bakery Shop to buy lunch. You know how it goes don't you ?

I've decided that there is something very special about reaching the grand old age of 60. OK, so it's not really anything special any more, i mean you can't even retire when you hit 60 now, you have to keep on slogging away for another 5 years, well most of us anyway. But I have decided that special it is & special it has been for me. Although events are dictating that life is probably going to be difficult for us both in the next year or so, our enforced inactivity here in Dunedin has provided us with some absolutely wonderful times, giving us the chance to really get to know both my son's wonderful families. One of the most special things in my life, short of finding Jude, has been sitting down with my family around me, the older ones talking, the little ones playing. Unless you have experienced it for yourself, it's difficult to explain how fulfilling it is.

I've learn't some lessons too. I've learn't how much my sons love me. I've learnt that I am not 9 foot high & bullet proof. I've learnt that because you have you have grey in your whiskers, people tend to think you are somehow wiser than you possibly are. Sometimes, I don't feel any wiser than what i was when i was 21. A lot less impulsive, maybe, but not a lot wiser either. I've also learnt that getting a tattoo doesnt hurt as much as you would think. My biggest lesson iis that it is vitally important, especially when away from home, that I take really good care of myself. The time that I have spent with my arm in plaster has possibly been one of the most frustrating times in my life. If it wasn't for my boys, it would be very punishing financially as well. Its been frustrating because I have had to let Jude fend for herself in areas where I would normally help, so I don't know. Maybe I am a little wiser than I was. Life, I suppose, teaches us its own lessons. it's up to us largely wether we choose to accept them & learn from them I guess

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.