Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Winter Wonderland..



After an incredibly warm welcome from Michelle, Paul , their 4 wonderful kids, an indifferent at best greeting from Molly the Miniature Schnauzer & a good nights sleep, I tiptoed out to the lounge at about 6.30 am hoping to use the quiet time to jot down a few notes over my first coffee of the day. While the jug was boiling, I pulled back the curtains & spent the next 5 minutes absolutely entranced. Virgin snow as far as the eye can see. How absolutely beautiful. bear in mind that we were miles away from any other form of civilisation, so no tyre tracks, no vehicle noise, no nothing. As I Stood there watching a rather plump little Black Bird hopping along the narrow strip of concrete left that was still sheltered by the eaves of the house, I heard the hall door open. There stood Struan, number 3 in the kids pecking order & I think about 4. You may correct me if I'm wrong. he looked at me with this huge big grin on his face & said, " i maded you a winter wonderland. "

And he had. He couldn't help himself. He had to wake the other two in the end room & tell them. We had a lovely day. I helped make my first ever snowman. I trudged through a foot of snow over to the shed to help Paul feed the calves, being accosted by two pet lambs with short memories on the way. We went up to the top shed & fed the other calves. then we carried on up the hill as far as Harry, the Suzuki Carry, (Harry the Carry, get it ?) Then we loaded up with firewood to fuel the heating system at home. I had had enough by that stage & spent the rest of the day resting.

Monday saw us bid a sad farewell to this absolutely wonderful family. Thankyou to Paul, Michelle, Lachlan, Charlotte, Struan & Neive. You are some of the most wonderful people we know. We will both carry the memories of our stay with you for a very long time.


1 comment:

Michy said...

You are most welcome Flattie. Anytime.