Monday, November 22, 2010

All Gods Chillun's

We did an overnighter in Albany for the weekend. The reason was our two eldest grand children were having their first communion on Sunday. Now I'm not a Roman Catholic, nor ever have been. I was dragged up in a good old Presbyterian family, but these two little tackers have a nun for an aunty & go to a fairly high end Catholic school, so I guess it really was an inevitability to happen. We took the little dog with us. Aside from distinguishing herself by peeing on the carpet, (shock horror) I don't think she particularly enjoyed herself. Two male Shi Tzu's are bit over the top don't you think? She sorted them out eventually though. Our morning walk was a bit of a mixed bag though. We went a lot earlier than usual. You have to there a bit, because of the traffic. The biggest thing I noticed was how built up it all was. Nowhere at all for a little dog to look for where other dogs had posted their presence. And it was raining. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the walk in spite of it all.

I enjoyed horsing around in the pool with the kids too. Rather belatedly, I remembered how long it has been since i have had a sore back. You know, you have so much going on in your life that an old acquaintance like a sore back can just slip away unnoticed & ride off into the sunset. That is until you are horsing around in the pool with the grandy's & come up with the bright idea of getting them to stand on your shoulders & balance there while you walk around the pool. Awesome fun at the time for all of us, but I woke up this morning thinking, " I've got a sore back... Damn its a long time since I've had a sore back." I don't mind, its gone now & I really enjoy my time with those two kids. We get on really well & have a lot of fun.

Anyway, Sunday morning rolled around with all the inevitability of a downhill steamroller race. The kids looked positively edible don't you think?
Ok, so we all raced off to church & amidst lots of standing up & sitting down, strange (to me anyway) rituals & some exceptionally good music from a very competent youth orchestra & choir, we got to see our little darlings walk solemnly up the aisle with their hands clasped in front of them & partake of their first communion. Although I'm no longer a practicing christian & its been more years than I care to remember since I actually took communion, I still remember the mystical feeling it involves, so it was a very nostalgic feeling watching them. They had a very proud Grandma as well don't you think ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought I would comment and say neat theme, did you make it for yourself? It's really awesome!

Flattie said...

No, I'm sorry I can't lay claim to that. It's actually a partial line from an old Negro spiritual song & in full reads, " I got a robe, you got a robe, all Gods chillun got a robe.." But thank you for your comment. It always does a would be author good to know that somebody reads them..