Friday, November 12, 2010

We can be heroes

I've finally plucked up the courage, (& the requisite cash) to go & get a partial plate made to help what is left of my top teeth tear steak & dinosaur bones to bits. Now, I naively, I've never had a denture before, expected that one would just pop the jolly old thing in to place & hey presto, all would be well & life would be rosy. Not so. First your tongue has to get used to having this bloody great slab of acrylic on the roof of its mouth. It actually takes up quite a bit of space, alters your speech patterns & everything. Dunno about eating yet as I haven't managed to chew a mouthful & swallow it yet without it feeling extremely weird. But I will get there eventually I guess. Everybody else does.

While I was doing all this, I also took Jude in to get her top plate refitted as with her weight loss it was way too big. Naturally, we had to explain what was up with Jude to explain her low tolerance to things like half a cup of goo & fingers in her mouth. The practise is run by a mother & daughter combo in company with a very cute 6 month old baby & a sassy Chihuahua. The mother lost her husband who used to run the pracice about 3 years ago to cancer under very tragic circumstances. The daughter is now qualified as a technician & Mum does the fittings.

I was rather taken aback, lost for words & very teary eyed this morning. You see, not only did they present me with my teeth, but also with a huge bunch of flowers, for being in their words, "A very brave man." Coming from them, that was a real tribute that I'm not really certain that I deserve.

1 comment:

cwnda said...

'Lost for words' - that's a change (Touché!) Re; the tribute - Take the small victories, sometimes they're the best ones. -Ô¿Ô-