Saturday, January 22, 2011

Covers worth Listening to

I originally hit Youtube looking for Bob Dylan singing "Just like Tom Thumb's Blues," but it's not there. I really wanted to share it with you so I went looking through the covers. I was drawn, strangely enough to the Grateful Dead's version, but they were really stoned (surprise surprise) & the camera work was, at best, erratic. So I stumbled onto Brian Ferry. Not an artist I have ever really listened to for no particular reason, just never got around to it. Imagine my surprise to find that he has covered Dylan fairly extensively. First is JTTB. An incredibly moving & , to me, extremely desolate song that brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Ferry does a masterful version. Enjoy....

Next on the list is Positively 4th Street. Dylan wrote this when he was going through a particularly messy break up with Joan Baez & it's a particularly bitter song. Baez retaliated with "Diamonds & Dust." A somewhat gentler & remonstrative reply. Once again, a very faithful & sensitive rendition of this song.

Speaking of faithful,(Like the segue there !) I found this by Marianne Faithful herself. I have a lot of time & admiration for her. She managed to recover from a very severe downward spin in her life & come back to be even better than she was. I just love her rich smokey, nightclub too many cigarettes voice that is somehow reminiscent of a glass of 30 year old Artillery Port sipped slowly on a warm summers evening.. Enjoy

No comments: