Thursday, September 14, 2006

I've been thinkin

Herself & I got to chatting in the spa pool as we do. The subject of political unrest & terrorism round the world came up. Herself has the wonderfully simplistic view that if we closed the national borders we could contain them all. It made me think.. Just how would we go about solving this problem we have. To solve a problem , you first have to find a cause. You dont have to go much further than religious fanatacism for that. Age old problem. Why is it worse now ? because weapons are so much more powerful. next step, who is the real criminal ? Not the activist who is only fighting for a cause he believes in. OK, if he didnt have AK47's & RPG's etc., he would still probably throw rocks, although I would rather be hit by a rock instead of a bullet.

To me, the real criminals are the arms manufacturers & dealers who supply to these people knowing full well what is going to happen to the gear. They quite simply work on greed. At least the terrorist is working for a faith, however misguided he may be. So the answer is easy. Set an embargo on the weapons & round up all the dealers.. That would be fine in a perfect world, but there are too many greedy people there to make it work.. John Lennon summed it up fairly well..


Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one


Be nice wouldnt it ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with you, Flattie, I really do. I would even say you're probably right insofar as what you believe to be the root of, and the solution to, the problem of terrorism. I've always had one problem with Lennon's lyrics, however. I can't -- and won't -- imagine there's no heaven.

Without a heaven (or whatever one wishes to call the existence we pass into after we're done with this one and all other carnal existences), I would find this life (as well as those previous and those to come) to be utterly pointless. I can't "imagine" that the Creator (and I do believe there is one) would have us spend a lifetime (or several) accumulating questions, only to sentence us to spend eternity in some kind of non-existence, never to have the opportunity to learn our lessons.

I could be wrong, of course, but in the heart of my soul, it's what I believe...

K

Flattie said...

Point taken, but isnt it sad that peoples conception of heaven, what you have to do to get there & what you find when you get there has caused so much misery, strife & dissention over the ages ? XXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

It IS sad, Flattie. Nevertheless, just as I can't blame God for the insanely outrageous things that religious fanatics have said and done to further their own viewpoints, neither do I blame God for what they have done to screw with the concept of heaven.

The damage they have wrought in their misguided attempts to save the world is certainly not what God intended, but that doesn't mean that out of protest, I must suspend my own belief in an eternal existence.

XOXOXOXOXOX

K

Morticia said...

Terrorism in the spa poool, no wonder you bought that huge roll of tinfoil.