Saturday, September 30, 2006

Editorial Comment

So, our Presbyterian Church has upheld a decision made in 2004 to ban anybody in either a homosexual or de facto relationship from holding a position of power within their church. I admire an organisation that stands on it's founding principals & doesnt surrender to our current touchy feely hug a tree attitudes. They arent saying that such folks arent welcome to worship there. They are just saying that to make policy & advise the flock that leaders must be a good example to the flock. I dont see anything wrong with that.

I guess it all depends on which part of the bible you place most credence in. While Christ says love all men as brothers, the old testament is very specific about what you should or shouldnt do. There is nothing wrong with the 10 commandments as a basic principal to base your life on. I have always held that if you love someone, then you should be prepared to stand up & be proud enough to formalise that love in front of your God & the world in general. That to me is a founding part of being a thinking being. What is the one thing that links us as a race of beings ? You got it. Some form of celebration or ritual that says ,"I love this person enough to want to spend the rest of my life with them." The form may vary, but the sentiment remains.

Presbyterianism stems from the dark dour days of John Knox in Scotland. One of the brave few who saw the oppression & misery created by the Roman Catholic Church & actally dared to read a bible for himself & attempt to right what he saw as wrong. The Scots are a proud & stubborn race & you must expect any form of religion that comes from there to cling ferociously to its values & I for one as a lapsed Presbygahooligan am glad to see at least someone take a stance on the moral high ground.

As far as homosexuality is concerned , I very much have a quid pro quo attitude, but if I was a member of a church that believes most strongly in the sanctity of marriage between a man & a woman, then I dont think that I would like to see a homosexual in the pulpit or in a policy making position either. If we are going to go all the way with this current policy of anything goes, then surely a church should be able to decide who does what within their organisation without being publicly condemned & raked over the coals. After all , if you dont like it, you dont have to go.. Its a free world.... Isnt it ????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A free world, eh? Hmmm...you might want to try that one out, Flattie, on some of the political prisoners who presently sit in cold, dark prison cells and who will probably never again see the light of day.

As to your Presby-whatever-ianism, I stand by your right to the expression of your opinion, even if I happen to disagree with you, which in the case of homosexuals not being allowed to serve as church leaders, I most certainly do.

K

Flattie said...

Whoa there gal..You obviously missed the import of those two little words at the end of my post. Dont worry. I am KEENLY aware of the plight of some of our fellow human beings. Being aware to the point of having been present at a gathering to listen to the Dalai Llama speak. The thrust of his message was that to achieve world peace, we first have to achieve personal peace.

As far as the other is concerned, read my quid pro quo bit. I also said I am a LAPSED Presbywotsit. I am very aware of your views & stance on the matter & admire you for the sacrifices that you made for them. I similarly admire the Presbyterian Church for making a stand that aint gonna make them any friends in a lot of quarters. I didnt necessarily say I agreed with it.. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Morticia said...

Flattie's Status Quo, er quid pro crow has lapsed pressbuttonism written allll over it, it does!

I agree that it doesnt matter what your own beliefs are, you have the right to hold them and we should defend your right to that. But, if you belong to an organisation (eg) that does not support your beliefs, then you are in the wrong room and should go find a room wot does share your beliefs.

Head, meet brick wall.

:0)

Anonymous said...

You think that Superman still lives and runs this place?
[b][url="http://hydrocodone.dewall.info "]hydrocodone[/url][/b]