Saturday, October 28, 2006

I had a quiet little cry this afternoon

It sorta snuck up on me just a bit. You see I got this double CD from the library this morning & thought that i would have a listen to it while I was building herself a frame to protect her strawberries from the predations of our avian friends. Anyway, I put it on & started listening to it. Its full of tracks that I haven't heard anyone else except me play for a whole lot of years. It took me back to times when I was under 20, had just bought my first 12 string, was a member of a folk music club, had heard Dylan for the very first time. Arlo Guthrie singing Alice's Restaurant right through (with feeling) & a whole raft of other things including people that I thought I had long forgotten. I
t all put me in mind of one of the most poignant songs that I think the Beatles ever recorded. Here are the lyrics for you, so you can shed a quiet little tear or two & feel just as maudlin as I do at the moment..


There are places i'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends i still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life i've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When i think of love as something new
Though i know i'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know i'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more

Though i know i'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know i'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more
In my life i love you more

I dont think I have to tell you the name. Heres to all my friends past & present. I love you all

No comments: