Monday, March 05, 2007

Bobby & Joan

Those of you that are as big a Dylan fan as myself will be aware of the often tempestuous & ultimately illfated relationship between himself & Joan Baez. You will no doubt also be aware of the influence that Woody Guthry had on Dylans early music & the relationship that Dylan had with the ailing Guthry. I had to post this particular Youtube clip. It draws together all the influences in Dylan's life at the time. This clip was recorded from the Rolling Thunder tour which Dylan did with Baez in 1976. This would have to be one of the most tuneful & together duets by Dylan & Baez that I have heard to date. Its a Woody Guthry composition that he wrote as a poem. he died before it was put to music 10 years later by a school teacher called Martin Hoffman, & popularised by Pete Seeger. The Byrds also recorded it on their 1969 album, The Ballad of Easy Rider. Its easily one of my favourite folk history songs & damn these two do it well. Listen & enjoy...


2 comments:

cwnda said...

Ah! memories! I was a big fan of Joan Baez back then .... still am I guess. Thanks for that, mate -Ô¿Ô- 

Flattie said...

Yeah mate. Sweet she was & its my pleasure. One of my most favourite Baez tracks is Amazing Grace.. Fair raises the hackles on my neck & makes my eyes leak..