Thursday, March 29, 2007

What a day !!!!!

It started Ok. I have wanted a relatively straight forward day. You know the sort. all the deliverys on the main road, or not too far off it. Just enough freight to make it look like your truck is full, but not that much that you either have to jigsaw it in, or turn round half way through & go back to the depot for the rest. Well it all started OK. No extra pickups & not too much freight. Only 2 deliverys that were any distance from the main route. Not too bad at all.

Ok, so it was raining a bit, but nothing serious. Everything went fine until we got out towards Inghams Chickens which is out on the flats between Waihou & Te Aroha. Then the wind started getting stronger & stronger. By the time we got to Gordon Road, where our next delivery was, I reckon it was gusting close to 100km/h in a cross wind. all this on a class 2 road. Moby Dick,my truck, is very high, & very long & a curtain sider. Needless to say, this made driving a hazardous procedure. It didnt help matters either that when we stopped to checked road numbers that Joe Cowcockey who had been following me, stopped , got out of his ute & walked back to my truck. "What have I done now?" sez I to my helper. But no, this clown just had to regale me enthusiastically about how I was , "All crossed up & nearly losing it ." No shit Sherlock! did he think I was having a nap while the truck was on auto pilot or something ?

Anyway, we did our delivery & made our careful way into Te Aroha. Herself was quite impressed when I told her that I wasn't game to take Moby over 70km/h.. See, she KNOWS what it takes to make me slow down when I'm working. By the time we got to Paeroa, the wind had more or less abated & the rain had started. Boy had it started. In bloody great buckets it had started. About that time the windscreen wipers decided to go on strike.. All this in a truck that had to go to Auckland tonight. A quick check showed that one of the linkages had come adrift & there was nothing I could do other than drive home in torrential rain with no wipers. See my helper refused to sit on the stoneguard with a squeegee for me.

Damn I was glad to see the depot & sign off for the day. Nice to get home where its warm & dry & my little sweety has a nice tea waiting.. The joys of being a trucky i guess..

5 comments:

cwnda said...

Grizzle bloody grizzle bloody grizzle! What are ya? a wimp? Geeez.... -Ô¿Ô- 

cwnda said...

Grizzle bloody grizzle bloody grizzle. Any one would think ya hard done by. Geez .... -Ô¿Ô- 

cwnda said...

Grizzle bluddy grizzle bluddy grizzle. I reckon you'd moan if'n ya pants were on fire & someone peed on them to put it out .... -Ô¿Ô-

Flattie said...

Uhmmm..... Yup, yup an yup

cwnda said...

Sorry about that, mate. The stupid machine wouldn't accept the message twice yesterday - kept on telling me "0 comments" but it obviously has a memory ....... -Ô¿Ô-