Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A New Era

Following a heart to heart chat with my Boss a couple of weeks ago & another one on Monday, I , or rather we, as in Herself & I , have made a huge decision regarding our life style. Basically, I don't work full time any more. We have a couple of irons in the fire with regards to financial independence, but nothing is finalised at this point. Those of you who know me well enough will understand that this is a huge leap of faith for me. As a card carrying Virgo, I like to have things fairly cut & dried. I don't think that this has worked too well for me over the years, because every time I get my self all comfortable & think I know where my life is going, somebody kicks my little warm dung heap helter skelter. Maybe this is lifes way of saying don't sweat the big stuff, because you ain't got a lot of control over it anyway.

I haven't, & in retrospect I am the first to admit it, been giving as much as I could to my job in the last few months. I have resented late nights on the road, which sadly are part & parcel of being a trucky. They take me away from Herself too much. I compensated by dragging her along with me. I'm starting to realise that although she willingly comes, too often is too much for her as she tires a lot easier than she used to. So I'm just on call now, for when it suits to do just the odd run here & there. Its a little bit scary, as I am used to working all my life, but I'm starting to adjust. At the moment, there is a lot of paper work to sort out for our new life. I don't do paperwork well, but I'm starting to learn.

I'm also finding that I have much more energy available for doing the things that are important to Herself. Interfacing with other people, particularly on the phone is a biggy now. Yesterday, I raised our bed by 8 inches. A major undertaking involving 7 new castors, 7 bolts, 84 screws, half a pot of PVA glue, various & sundry bits of wood & half the day.New attitude meant that I kept going till it was finished, rather than doing half a job & setting it aside because I was too tired & just plain couldn't be bothered like I have been doing. Today, so far I have lifted the path through the garden in the back lawn, put two layers of polythene down & relaid it. When I originally laid it, I put it down on el cheapo weed mat from the Ware House. Trust me, its not a great deal of use. We have had all sorts grow through it, including Docks. Hopefully, it will be alright now. Its giving me a lot of satisfaction seeing projects completed. The path is the first step in finishing the concreting in the back yard. Once our finances are settled, I will start buying stuff like builders mix & concrete & finally get the back yard how I want it.

I think my life from now on will be very busy, but at least I will be spending it with my Darling. That above all else is the most important thing to us both now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pleased to see you will have a lot more time at home and am sure Herself will feel safer with you nearby. Wraps you both in big hugs, love Muna.

Kathy said...

Flattie, my Outlook e-mail software is on the fritz, and my IT guy (aka "Bill") hasn't yet been able to get it up and running. So I don't have access to my address book or anyone's e-mail addresses.

In the interim, if/when you get a minute, I'd appreciate your sending me your e-mail address by way of Facebook message. I think I know it, but just to be on the safe side...

Your new life sounds interesting, and I'm sure Herself loves having you around. I admire you both for making the decision to be the river that yields to the rocks it flows across, rather than one of the rocks themselves. The river has no idea where it will ultimately end up, but at least it's moving and changing and headed somewhere. Those rocks never get to experience anything but the one spot upon which they sit.

K

cwnda said...

Sounds to me that you are not far from finding one of those elusive little rocks you've been seeking. Got your hammer ready to break it apart? -Ô¿Ô 

Flattie said...

Yeah mate. I feel an inner peace that I have not had in a long time. I actually feel like I'm in control of my own life for the first time in a long time

Unknown said...

Kudos to you Flattie, its a big step but you are doing things right. Good for you.