Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Grateful Dead

have never really meant that much to me. I mean, they never really made it big & they never really had any hits in New Zealand. All we ever heard of them here was the odd reference to them in TV programmes. That is, until as part of my growing Dylan collection, some 50 odd albums, I acquired a disc called "Dylan & the Dead" It was recorded as part of a tour that Dylan did in partnership with the Dead. This was a time in Dylan's life when he was basically at a creative standstill, merely cycling through a repertoire of around some 20 songs in this particular tour, even though Jerry Garcia was continually at him to experiment more. The album has been described as "Shambolic" by those who are supposed to know. I would agree that Dylan's performance is lacklustre here but the Dead...

Purists will probably throw up their hands in horror, but to me, Garcia's instrumental work in"All along the watchtower " for one track, is nothing short of brilliant. Better even than Hendrix's interpretation. This started me on the road to searching for some of their recorded material. Not easy. There are obviously some dedicated Dead Heads out there prepared to pay damn good money for what is around, so I havent managed to afford anything from my usual online auction source. Imagine my glee to find a DVD entitled "The Grateful Dead,Alive & Kicking " for $9.99 at the Red Shed..

Anyway, had Dylan & The Dead on the cd player in the van on the Waihi run this arvo. Just put it on & let it keep playing. Nice coincidence that watchtower was playing as I was coming up to the narrow bit thru The Karangahake Gorge that I call "The Squeeze" & mellowed out into "Knockin On Heavens Door" right after it all.. Groovy way to end the day.. Alive & Kicking is awesome, & Jerry Garcia had just the coolest guitar I've seen in a while.. I want onee..

No comments: