Monday, February 26, 2007

Happy Birthday John..


Johnny Cash (born J. R. Cash, February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003) was an influential American country and rock and roll singer and songwriter. Cash was the husband of country singer and songwriter June Carter Cash.

Cash was known for his deep, distinctive voice, the boom-chick-a-boom or "freight train" sound of his Tennessee Three backing band, his dark clothing, and demeanor, which earned him the nickname "The Man in Black." He started all his concerts with the simple introduction "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash."

Much of Cash's music, especially that of his later career, echoed themes of sorrow, moral tribulation, and redemption. His signature songs include "I Walk the Line", "Folsom Prison Blues", "Ring of Fire", and "Man in Black". He also recorded several humorous songs, such as "One Piece at a Time", "The One on the Right Is on the Left", and "A Boy Named Sue"; rock-and-roll numbers such as "Get Rhythm"; and various train-related songs, such as "The Rock Island Line".

He sold over 50 million albums in his nearly 50 year career and is generally recognized as one of the most important musicians in the history of American popular music.


Thankyou Wikipedia for that. I guess I must have started listening to Johnny Cash when I was about 10, & I dont guess I have ever really grown out of the habit. One of my favourite Cash tracks is his cover of "Danny Boy" he spends about 5 minutes before the start of the song relating the depth of meaning in the lyrics & the special place that song has in his family's history. Its very moving.





As he aged, he mellowed as we all do, eventually making the cover of Time magazine. There is a lot I could say about him. I have a lot of his music. Not as much as I have of his friend Bobby's but a fair stack none the less.. I think I should really let him have the last say. The visuals in this brought tears to my eyes when I saw it the first time.. Happy birthday Johnny...

1 comment:

Morticia said...

Magic :-)