Monday, February 02, 2009

Goin' up to the Spirit in the Sky

David Attenborough was taken to task by a Christian group recently. It seems that he never acknowledges the hand of God as being instrumental in creating the various natural wonders that he creates his wonderful programmes about. His reply was that there is a worm in Africa that exists solely to burrow its way into the eye of a child & live there. He can't see the hand of God working there. Frankly, neither can I. There has been a reply to that in a herald column that I read on a regular basis. A rabid God botherer has written in stating that God created the world perfect & it was only man that screwed it all up.

Personally, I have serious problems with the God as portrayed in "The Book of Books," The Bible. I mean figure it out for yourself. One slip up & we were out of the Garden of Eden. he had Abraham on a treat, leading him on to the last minute that he had to offer his son as a human sacrifice. And look what he did to Job ! All to win a bet with the devil. Pretty shabby I think. He nuked Sodom & Gommorah. I mean, c'mon, we all gotta have a bit of fun sometimes. If that wasn't enough, he had to rinse out the test tube & start again, with only Noah & his family & a few bugs & beasts to start again. Think what a genetic nightmare that would have started. Appalachia, eat your heart out. probably where Jehovah Witnesses spring from if the truth be known. OK, there were some good bits too, like the freedom of the Israelites from Egypt, but He had to torment the living daylights outta the Wogs before they let them go. Everywhere the hand of God appears someone inherits a pail of misery. He even let his only son sacrifice his life in manner most dreadful to atone for all our sins, past present & future.

Christians see this as a good thing. I see it more as throwing "our Albert" to a pride of Lions to eat so that the rest of us can sneak on quietly by while they are busy, congratulating both Albert & the Lions. The end result is the same. Albert/Christ has died in a manner most dreadful while God/The Lions are satisfied & leave us alone.

I'm sorry, but I have huge problems with this scenario. Even a mere human parent can find it within themselves, (most times) to forgive a wayward child without demanding one of their siblings offer themselves in a bizarre form of sacrifice. If a mere human can do it, whats wrong with God ? Isn't he supposed to be perfect? Anyone else see the anomaly? I have, as do all of us in some form or another, my own ideas about what happens to us when we bite the big one. I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that I'm happier believing in a more laid back deity that pretty much lets me do my own thing & find spiritual enlightenment in my own way. I'm not saying that I don't have issues within this. You know as well as I do that I have. Recent events have forced me to not only wake up & smell the coffee, but to have a rather large dose of very bitter & cold old coffee forcibly administered, but I guess thats where the issue of faith enters the picture.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Makes sense to me. I've long struggled with "The Good Book" for many reasons, some which you mentioned.

For a while now, my motto has been "Everyone must find God in his own way and in his own time." After some of the verbal scrapes I've gotten into recently with Religious Frighters, I think I'll add, "Beyond that, he just needs to leave everyone else the hell alone."