Saturday, May 16, 2009

Monday Monday

Monday is a very significant day for herself & I. For one thing, its our 18th wedding anniversary. According to the modern list, that's supposed to entitle us to all sorts of groovy presents made of porcelain, but I'm not holding my breath. Our relationship certainly hasn't been dull. Right from the day that she invited me home for tea, & I never left. We have actually been together for over 20 years now. It just took me a little while to amass the spare cash to get a divorce done. When the judge announced a decree absolute, I went straight down to the shop where she was working & got down on one knee & proposed. Right in front of a customer. She said 'Yes" of course & the rest is history. Very interesting history it is too. I may tell you about it one day.

The next significant thing about Monday is that my youngest son's wife is due to give birth to our 4th grand child. He is hoping she will hold on till the 21st of May, which is my Dad's birthday. Both my boys loved their "Poppy." One of my most fervent wishes is that I can fill his rather large boots for my grandchildren. We don't know yet what is on the way, & really I don't suppose it matters, so long as its fit & healthy. I know it will be happy, because its going to have the most loving parents imaginable. We intend to get down there sometime later in the year to see them all.

Monday is, I guess, really the start of my new life as a ,"Gentleman of H'independent means." For the first time in my adult life, I will not be gainfully employed, nor will i be seeking gainful employment. You all know why. I may tell you as well, that its not without a certain measure of trepidation that I approach the coming years. Although Herself's symptoms have been gradual in their onset, they are, unfortunately, inevitable & one of the hardest things that I find myself doing is continually telling people,"No, there is no treatment, no, there is no cure & no there is no remission."

The last thing is that Herself's brother & his Lady are coming down to visit on Monday. Visits from the two of them are always nice. They have both really come to the fore since Herself has been ill, showing all the compassion & support that it's possible to show.

So hopefully, the day will produce some great memories for us both. meanwhile, I look around & see so much to do. If the weather holds I may get out tomorrow & mow some grass. I spent today helping a friend to shift house. Damn, but that girls got a lot of stuff.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You are such a good friend to help your friend move, Flattie. More importantly, though, you are the BEST kind of husband there is. Herself is a lucky gal, and I'm sure she knows it. And you obviously consider yourself pretty damned lucky to have her, too.

Congratulations on 18 happy years together!

K