Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Imagine

I am currently reading a biography of John Lennon called "Lennon Revealed" written by a reporter called Larry Kane. Larry covered all 3 Beatles tours as part of the entourage & eventually became a close personal friend of Lennons. It has certainly changed my perception of Lennon. I always envisaged him as the hard man of the group & largely responsible for its eventual disintegration. Not so. This book reveals him as a very compassionate person. Yeah he could hell raise & lose his temper badly, but mostly he would always apologise. A large contributory factor to the breakup was friction between the wives. Hey all this is out there if you look for it.

I remember what I was doing when I heard about his death. Myself & another fireman were working part time as repossession agents & were in deepest darkest Otara repossessing some bedroom furniture. Bernie, my mate, came back in from the van looking stunned & said,"They've just shot John Lennon." One of the Islanders who was watching us load up said,"Who the fuck is John Lennon?" "One of the original Beatles," Says I. "Who the fuck were they?" says he. "Never mind" said I. After pausing a couple of minutes with my thoughts, I carried on .

I find his early death as senseless as the current conflict in the middle east. Ok, ther eis a cease fire at present, but look how many innocents have died.. I think that had he been alive today, John would have cried & probably become very angry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe that any adult in 1980 would NOT have heard of the Beatles. What planet were they ON in the 60's? Talk about mind boggling...

Have you heard about the Beatles reunion that's allegedly in the works? The members of the group would be Paul, Ringo, John's boys Julian and Sean, George's son/clone (whose name I don't recall), and (unfortunately) Yoko Ono. All are supposedly very good musicians in their own right, although I have serious reservations about Yoko's musical abilities. Maybe she withheld her permission unless she was included.

As I understand it, it wasn't so much the wives' friction that contributed to the Beatles' breakup as it was professional jealousy between John and Paul, who continually squabbled as to who should get credit for writing their music. And after John's death, the squabble continued between Yoko and Paul.

Supposedly all is now forgiven, thus everyone can now go on with their lives and make oodles of money by "reunioning". We'll see...

K