Monday, August 28, 2006

One thing that really rips my nighty

Tonight was one of the rare nights that I watched our current affairs program at 7.00 pm. They were covering the unfortunate death of a 17 year old boy in the back of a security van being transported within the justice system as a prisoner in the company of two other older males. The thing that really pissed me off was this... They were interviewing this pathetic excuse for a mother that finally did the Tough Love thing with her eldest boy after he used physical violence to both her & her husband. What pissed me off was her saying, "I dont think that my partner & I would still be married if he had stayed here." I mean, what the fuck ???? A partner is something you have in a business. If you are married, you have a WIFE or a HUSBAND. What is wrong with having stood up & made serious promises to another human being ? In my view, once you have done that, the relationship progresses to something beyond a "partnership." For goodness sake, be PROUD of the fact that you have done this.

This womans son has, despite time in a corrections center & a wishy washy mother, reputedly turned in to a good human being. Know what the kicker is ? Now this woman is having the same problems with her younger son & is going down the same route with him. Motherly love combined with structure & discipline are a good set of bones to hang a parent/child relationship on. She obviously hasnt learnt the basic Tough Love lesson that parents & children are NOT created equal. Parents have the right to say what goes in their home & stick to it.

End of rant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than the matrimony thing, I'm not sure I understand your objections to this mother's actions. If my son (you-know-who) had ever been physically violent with any member of our family, he too would've found his ass in the back of a police van faster than you can say "butt buddies".

I can't help but think that the kid had had more than his share of fair warnings and that the mother was simply at the end of her rope. I can relate.

K

Flattie said...

Its not the action that I object to. I think Tough Love is brilliant, & actually ran our local chapter. Not from any need of its services, but because I believe in it. What I object to is her referral to her husband as her "partner." This is not the woman that lost her son, this is entirely another woman that they raked up from somewhere to pad out their program. The thing that saddens me is that she hasnt learnt. Her other son is heading down the same path as well

Anonymous said...

Guess I didn't read your blog as thoroughly as I should have. I didn't realize there were two moms.

I agree with your assertion that a wife ought to be proud to call her spouse her "husband". However, are you absolutely sure that they are actually married? Might she be a lesbian? I couldn't tell from your blog, and I don't have access to the news piece you saw. If she were either a lesbian or not actually married to the guy, I think it would be appropriate for her to use the term "partner".

As you might expect in these situations, this is how I feel:

"Whatever you do, whereever you go,
It's all just a part of life's ebb and flow.
All I can say is 'Each to his own,'
And just hope that folks leave ME the hell alone."

K