Thursday, March 05, 2009

Be it ever so humble

There seriously IS no place like home. This I know to be true, because we have spent the last 4 days in the tender care of Waikato Hospital. It's not that we weren't taken care of. We were basically spoiled rotten. mainly, I suspect, because of Herself's unfailing cheerfulness in the face of adversity. We got a major surprise when we arrived. The Neurosurgeon obviously decided that herself was fit enough to cope with a PEG op instead of the RIG. if you are interested in the difference, look it up. Wkipedia has heaps on the subject. The most important thing is that although the PEG op is more bodily invasive, its all done & dusted in 15 minutes as opposed to 45 for a RIG & is done under a light general instead of a local.

The time that I spent standing in the staging area for theatre waiting for her to come out was probably the longest & loneliest time that I have spent for longer than I care to remember, but she came through with flying colours. Groggy , but good. The vomiting blood bit was impressive. Scary but expected I guess. After all, the surgeon had just done an Aliens remake on her tum. From there on, it was really improvement all the way. Lots of sleep & top line care. If she hadn't had a little congestion on her lungs, we could have come home yesterday. In retrospect, its probably as well that we stayed, for both of us. It's been wonderful for me to have the break & pass her care over to someone else for a small time. Its not that I dont gladly do it, as I know that she would gladly do it for me, its just nice to relax & not have to make the decisions. The driver for my firm that lives in Hamilton showed up on Wednesday night with a beautiful big bunch of flowers from my bosses & a lovely card that had been signed by all the troops at work. Its nice to know that she is held in such high regard by my workmates. A very touching thing to happen.

Oh by the way. I weighed myself before we left. Guess what ? With 4 days of "Healthy " food , no booze, no butter no salt & no internet, I gained nearly a kilo. I had steak, eggs & chips & a beer for tea tonight wiv bread & butter & salt. Damn, but it tasted good.

1 comment:

Morticia said...

Yayyyyyyyyy

Glad it's all done, one less thing to worry yourself into a stew over and lovely to see more that unswerving support from the Firm. I know it makes all the difference to you both that they are always right there behind you in treating Jude as Jude and not someone who has grown an extra arm out of her back, even if she has sprouted a PEG out of her front.

We've all been thinking of you lots and sending much love to you both.