Sunday, March 08, 2009

A Unique Week

Albeit fairly long & traumatic. I won't rehash, if you've been reading, you will know what has been happening. The weekend has been really good though. Herself's natural brother & sister had arranged to come down & stay with us overnight. I must admit that I had misgivings, as i wondered if it might be a little much for Herself. Even more so, when her daughter phoned to see if it was OK if them & Herself's younger son came down for the day. I couldn't say no could I? It turned into a really fantastic day. Everybody had a ball. Herselfs brother & sister brought heaps of food down, took over the kitchen & made sure that Herself had nothing to do except sit back & enjoy.

They were kind enough to realise that she needed a rest too. They quietly beetled off home about lunchtime, theoretically leaving us the afternoon to recoup. Yeah right !!!!! Herself had good snooze & I spent the afternoon fielding phone calls from dear friends checking in to see how she was. Even a couple of visitors which was nice. Nobody stayed too long, which was even nicer. I didn't really get much of a snooze this afternoon. Normally I feel tired at the end of a weekend, but I must admit to feeling more refreshed for the week than I usually do.

We are both getting used to the concept of having PEGgy in our lives. It does have its advantages for her. She is in a bit of pain still, so is taking regular painkillers. She can't take Paracetomol tablets, so she has been prescribed the liquid. God that stuff is foul! Syrupy texture & sickly sweet. She used to gag & choke badly on it. I don't blame her. I wouldn't drink it ! So now, she just gives it to PEGgy to take. Much better.

History was made too. we were down wandering the mall on Friday, & SHE told ME to slow down. On the subject of walking, she reckons that she is walking as usual tomorrow. I have , unknown to her, talked to D about it & she, like me, is doubtful. She had already decided on a short slow walk. I think that walking is very important for her though, not only for the exercise keeping her lungs clear, but also for the spiritual/mental aspect of it. I have seen the value in that respect from a friend who had cancer, that he maintains he walked it away. I'm not going to comment either way, but he doesn't have cancer any more.

Well, that's about it for us this week. Back to the grind in the morning. Herself is growing more confident in handling PEGgy on her own day by day & any reservations I have about leaving her on her own have pretty much faded into the background. It still seems a little strange to look at, but I guess we will both get used to it eventually. Like we are getting used to everything else I guess.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Your handling of this situation, Flattie, is inspiring. It goes without saying that Herself actually has the more difficult job, and it sounds like she is handling it with her usual can-do attitude. But it has to make her job incredibly less problematic to have such an understanding, loving partner to anticipate and see to her needs.

Please give Her a big hug for me, and yourself a pat on the back. Believe me, you deserve it.

Flattie said...

Thank you Kathy. Those are very lovely words. For me, I remember promising before God something along the lines of "In sickness & in health." I take promises very seriously & anyway, she has been there to scrape me off the floor on a number of occasions, so fair is fair.