Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's the weekend again.

Fairly self evident I thought really. I mean you work five days, have two days off. Generally, as you do, I spent some time yesterday idly wondering what to do with it. Fishing I thought would be nice. The tides looked good for a launch at a respectable hour at Te Puru. I should have known better. 5 minutes later, it started to rain. That should have told me something, but I even went as far as to see if any of my workmates were interested. That clinched it. There is now a wind warning for the gulf.

I actually slept in this morning til 7.30. Herself slept til 9.30. A friend came round last night with a nice lot of field mushrooms. I did some last night with a cream & garlic reduction to go with a nice bit of steak. Herself can manage mushies OK, so we had the balance with bacon this morning. She got the bacon taste OK, but couldn't manage the bacon. I find it very touching that although there are a lot of things that she now can't eat, she doesn't expect me to forgo them as well & there are always little surprises in the groceries for me that she cant eat any more, but, bless her, she soldiers on uncomplaining.

We had a lazy morning, finally looking at the clock & realising that we only had 15 minutes to get to the library. When we got home I actually heard her admit for the first time in a while that she was tired. Even so, she was going to do the washing & a few other jobs before having a nap. I'll get it all out of the way when I finish here. Somehow, priorities have changed a bit with things like that. One thing I do miss is our daily soak in the spa together. My poor old bones need the warmth, but its not the same without her there & I must say I feel somewhat guilty being there on my own. I think that I will email the Neuro Nurse at Waikato to see when she can go back in.

I think that if the weather comes right that I will have a go at the back yard. The roses need pruning, the garden path needs weeding & the lawn needs mowing. So much fun to be had, I scarcely know where to start.

RANT TIME

I read this morning on the Herald web site that the police have bought 12 new 8 seat Toyota Previas to be used as camera vans. They are a bit coy as to how much they paid for them, but they cost dealers $62500 each. I guess they can affod them though, as camera vans have bought in revenue of a good bit of 50 million dollars a year. Apparently the lowly Mitsubishi L300 isn't good enough any more. I have very decided views on speed camera's. As a deterrent, they are bullshit. Everyone gets warned off by flashing headlights, slow down while they go past then crank it up again. If they are really serious about reducing overall speed & the corresponding road toll, they should be putting more mufti cars on the road. As a professional driver, I find the thought that the next car on the road could be an unmarked Police car with a radar that can read the speed of oncoming traffic far more daunting than the odd van parked up on the side in the same place all day with some old codger sitting in a lazyboy in the back reading a book. God knows there are enough Muppets on the road. I see any amount of them most days. Irresponsible passing, dangerous driving, you name it. Lets target these clowns instead of the poor bastard that just happens to stray 10 or so K's over the limit. End rant.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

It's not that I don't sympathize with you, Flattie, but it could always be worse, you know. You COULD be driving in Houston traffic all day. A trip to the bowels of Hell is more pleasant.

Flattie said...

Have seen samples of what Houston laughingly call Freeways on TV. One of the drivers in a programme called "Ice Road Truckers" reckoned he would rather drive on the ice than Houston in rush hour with a big rig. Dunno bout the bowels of Hell, but the bowels of Houston sure look like they could use a laxative to me..

Kathy said...

Have to agree with that, Flattie. Why do you think I chose a career where I could work from home?

What's happening is that everyone from all the small towns in Texas and beyond are "gittin' outta Dodge" and moving to the three metropolitan areas--Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth and San Antonio. There's no such thing as an infrastructure that can keep up with that, so chronically overcongested traffic is just one more thing Houstonians have to deal with.

Having said that, when one considers the infinite number of things we have to see and do here, heavy rush hour traffic seems like a small price to pay.