Sunday, July 23, 2006

National Poetry Day

It was national Poetry Day on Friday. I didnt get around to posting anything , but I'm going to now. This is one of my originals. I wrote it about my Dad..

REMEMBER WHEN

We sat & ate our sandwiches
My Dad, two dogs & I
We sat & watched each other eat
beneath the wide blue sky.
"Not much around today," he said
he fed his dog a bite
"We'll try the pool down by the bend,
We'll give those fish a fright."
I grunted back & gave my dog
A crust , she took with care
I lay back in the damp green grass
With my mind I don't know where.
I'd spinfished all the way down stream
And never got a touch.
The dogs were chasing rabbits,
Neither caring much.
Like me they didn't really care
If anything was caught,
The chase you see was everything,
The catch it comes to aught.
"When I was young,I used to fish
This little narrow stream.
Just absolutely filled with trout
At least thats how it seemed.
There used to be this one big fish,
One run was all he'd make,
A mighty rush at any lure ,
But Ne'er a bite he'd take.
From then it didnt matter what
You'd float on line in stream,
He'd never make a run again
At least thats how it seemed."
We'd played this game all morning,
My Dad two dogs and I.
This game thats called "Remember When,"
Beneath the wide blue sky.

My Dad & the two dogs have all gone now. I only hope they save me a 10 pound rainbow trout in a big pool with no snags in it. I think I would like that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a knack for poetry, my friend! Seems I learn something new about you all the time.

Oh, and thanks for sharing your fishing-with-dad experience with those of us whose fathers never took us fishing (not that I ever WANTED to go fishing with my dad, mind you; that would have been sheer torture for us both).

Kathy

Flattie said...

Thankyou. Got a heap more in a folder, but I rate that one as one of my better ones